Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
ratf51
Board Founder

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by ratf51 »

David wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:57 am
ratf51 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:05 am (My apologies-- I screwed up the quote function on this one!)
Took care of it for ya :)

A lot has changed in the 9mm landscape over the last several decades. I think you'll be well pleased. I still load mine with 124+P GD as I have a supply of them on hand from when it was issued. There are a lot of good 9mm rounds these days.
I appreciate that!

My research has led me to order 150 rounds of Federal 124gr HST (standard pressure, not +P). The 124gr HST had impressive stats from the Lucky Gunner tests and it is available in 50 round boxes which make for a lower price per round. There does seem to be a plethora of good/very good/excellent choices in self defense loadings. I have also ordered some of the Federal synthetic coated rounds for range/practice.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

For those who didn't read the Cowboy thread...

David
Administrator

Post by David »

ratf51 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:20 pm
David wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:57 am
ratf51 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:05 am (My apologies-- I screwed up the quote function on this one!)
Took care of it for ya :)

A lot has changed in the 9mm landscape over the last several decades. I think you'll be well pleased. I still load mine with 124+P GD as I have a supply of them on hand from when it was issued. There are a lot of good 9mm rounds these days.
I appreciate that!

My research has led me to order 150 rounds of Federal 124gr HST (standard pressure, not +P). The 124gr HST had impressive stats from the Lucky Gunner tests and it is available in 50 round boxes which make for a lower price per round. There does seem to be a plethora of good/very good/excellent choices in self defense loadings. I have also ordered some of the Federal synthetic coated rounds for range/practice.
Looks like an excellent choice. Particular from a shorter barreled pistol.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Been using it forever in my 9mm's
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Yes, that video was one of the review sources. There is the part of me that echos Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor and growls "more power!" It was a struggle at first to overcome the urge to get the +P loading but the standard load was far more consistent and the +P only had a marginal increase in "oomph." I have a soft spot for Gold Dots (my preferred load in my .40S&Ws) so, again, I am broadening my horizons. I am seriously looking forward to getting this pistol.
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

What is the diff between the M17 and M18 - barrel length?
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Bob wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:19 am What is the diff between the M17 and M18 - barrel length?
Barrel and slide length.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Besides picking up my new/old Timberwolf 357 slide action rifle from a buddy, I also got a 44 mag barrel for my H&R single shot. I already have two 44 mag rifles, one Marlin lever action and a Ruger semi but I couldn't pass up adding to the collection of barrels I have for my H&R particularly since he practically gave it away at a dirt cheep price. I now have a 12ga, 20 ga, 357 mag barrel all cut down to the legal limit (18" for shotguns, 16" for rifle). The 44 mag barrel is, I think 22" so I may have my buddy cut it down to 16" to make it more handy.

The frame and both rifle barrels (and probably the shotgun barrels as well, I haven't tried yet) fit into a padded case he gave me.

You may have noticed that I made a leather sling and stock cuff/ammo holder. I may alter the cuff to take half 357s (which it now holds 10 of) and half 44 mags.

I did take it up to my cabin to shoot it but got occupied shooting the Timberwolf (it was fun to shoot) so I didn't take it out. Going back to the cabin tomorrow so I'll try and shoot it.

Update...

I dug out the shotgun barrels and added them to the case.

As shown the case weighs 20.7 lbs without ammo.

Last edited by Mac66 on Fri May 22, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

You've always got some of the sweetest setups I've seen Mac. This one is dandy and way versatile. How many barrels are available for that model? I would imagine a .22lr barrel is made for it?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".