Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by Ronin.45 »

Tried the new pistol in the garage. With all ranges shut down we must improvise.
As expected, it runs perfectly with can, but won't cycle without. I'll order the reduced recoil spring today
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Got back from the property last night. We shooting my P17s. Both work well with multiple kinds of ammo. I'm declaring the second one a winner. I shot over 300 rounds through it without a glitch.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Sounds like both you guys got yourselves winners!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Glad your second p17 is working out, Mac
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

One of the reasons I bought the second one is that when this virus things clears up I'll be teaching a concealed pistol class at my range for my nieces, my daughter, my wife and some of my brother's wives. Apparently this virus thing woke some of them up and they've been talking and have collectively decided they want the training and get their permits. My nephew, actually he is my nieces' husband is an instructor as am I. We plan on running them through the course with a variety of pistol starting with 22s. He has a S&W M&P 22 and I have the P17s. Then we'll use our EZ 380s, then 9mms. Between the two of us we can give them a taste of what's available from small pocket pistols to compacts to full size.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Hey, I got a new gun. Just bought a Ruger LC9s Pro. That's the striker fired version of my beloved LC9. Been wanting the Pro version since they first came out but didn't want to spring for the extra money. Then they disappeared when the EC9 came out. Finally a used, like new one popped up on the local gun forum at a great price. Apparently the guy who is out of work needs the money. Going to meet him tomorrow or Tuesday next week for the exchange.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Excellent! I figured that we would (unfortunately) start to see really good deals amidst the folks with jacked up prices. And you’re right in that the LC9s kinda became a bit scarce when the EC9 came out. Good solid pistols. Enjoy.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:16 am Excellent! I figured that we would (unfortunately) start to see really good deals amidst the folks with jacked up prices. And you’re right in that the LC9s kinda became a bit scarce when the EC9 came out. Good solid pistols. Enjoy.
The Pro version (no safety, no mag disconnect) is not even made anymore. I''d been happy with just an "S" version but the pro model is a bonus.

Kind of baffling that all those people went out and bought guns for a pandemic without realizing they may be out of work for awhile or lose their jobs altogether. Could be an opportunity down the road when their funds get scarce.

The guy I'm buying from bought this gun new several years ago and never used it. He figured it was time to sell it to bring in some cash.

Hopefully I'll be able to sell my regular LC9 for around the same price as the Pro is costing me.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:47 am
David wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:16 am Excellent! I figured that we would (unfortunately) start to see really good deals amidst the folks with jacked up prices. And you’re right in that the LC9s kinda became a bit scarce when the EC9 came out. Good solid pistols. Enjoy.
The Pro version (no safety, no mag disconnect) is not even made anymore. I''d been happy with just an "S" version but the pro model is a bonus.

Kind of baffling that all those people went out and bought guns for a pandemic without realizing they may be out of work for awhile or lose their jobs altogether. Could be an opportunity down the road when their funds get scarce.

The guy I'm buying from bought this gun new several years ago and never used it. He figured it was time to sell it to bring in some cash.

Hopefully I'll be able to sell my regular LC9 for around the same price as the Pro is costing me.
The trigger on the LC9s (and Pro) is simply fantastic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

As for the panic buying, I would suspect that in the next couple/few months there may be a glut of good deals on the usual b/s/t/ gun sites. A lot of people that never owned one before just wanting to get rid of it because, you know, the 'situation' has passed and no other ones will come. Same folks that return generators still new in the box after the storm has passed. But perhaps a lot will hang on to them as well. At any rate, I'm looking forward to the prices coming back down to normal. Getting tired of seeing $800 Glocks on Armslist. Sorry, as much as I like Glocks, the only way a Glock would ever be worth $800 is if it came with a second (and maybe third) Glock. Or it's one of the originals with a thumb safety maybe. Also looking forward to ammo coming down to sale prices again as well. Figure to give it a couple/few months.

But as for the LC9s Pro, you'll like it fine. Sure you wanna get rid of the LC9? Those are fairly rare on the sites.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:22 pm
Mac66 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:47 am

The trigger on the LC9s (and Pro) is simply fantastic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

As for the panic buying, I would suspect that in the next couple/few months there may be a glut of good deals on the usual b/s/t/ gun sites. A lot of people that never owned one before just wanting to get rid of it because, you know, the 'situation' has passed and no other ones will come. Same folks that return generators still new in the box after the storm has passed. But perhaps a lot will hang on to them as well. At any rate, I'm looking forward to the prices coming back down to normal. Getting tired of seeing $800 Glocks on Armslist. Sorry, as much as I like Glocks, the only way a Glock would ever be worth $800 is if it came with a second (and maybe third) Glock. Or it's one of the originals with a thumb safety maybe. Also looking forward to ammo coming down to sale prices again as well. Figure to give it a couple/few months.

But as for the LC9s Pro, you'll like it fine. Sure you wanna get rid of the LC9? Those are fairly rare on the sites.
I may keep the original LC9, it depends. When I got the S&W Shield with the laser I really liked the trigger on it. It was way better than the LC9. In fact it made the LC9 trigger feel so long and heavy I wondered how I was even able to shoot it. However after shooting the LC9 again after awhile I got used to it and really like the feel, handling, shape better than the Shield. The LC9 was just so much more smoother and ergonomic. The Shield was so square and angular I wasn't interested in carrying it. I traded it for a EZ 380 for my wife.

I have kind of a rule that nothing comes in unless something goes out, i.e, an even sum game. I traded my first Ruger SR22 for the Shield then traded the Shield for the EZ 380. I thought I did well with those trades. I sold the second SR22 and bought the P17 and was $90 ahead. On the other hand, that rule isn't carved in stone and I will need something to keep at the house in The Villages in Florida so I don't have to take a pistol on the plane when I go there. I pick up the Pro tomorrow and take it to the cabin and shoot it and we'll see what I'll do with the LC9.