So, SCCY...

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: So, SCCY...

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:34 am FYI, the MSRP on the SCCY CPX 1RD (red dot) is $349. A local sporting goods store is advertising it in a pre memorial day sale for $379.

Be aware that it is a double action, hammer fired pistol with a trigger pull of 9lbs. 17.5 oz unloaded. There is actually two versions the CPX 1RD, and the CPX 2RD. Specs are the same, the 2 is listed as being $10 cheaper. No idea what the difference is. Also I found out that the red dot used is a Crimson Trace that is always on, i.e, no off switch. Battery life is 20,000 hours (a little over 2 years of continual use).
I 'think' the difference between the 1 and the 2 is that one of them has a MS. Don't recall which is which. And you're right, the CPX is hammer fired with a heavier trigger pull. Probably one of the reason it gets somewhat of a bad rap. Imagine all the striker-fired-only people complaining about what a 'terrible' trigger it has...
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:18 pm
Mac66 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:34 am FYI, the MSRP on the SCCY CPX 1RD (red dot) is $349. A local sporting goods store is advertising it in a pre memorial day sale for $379.

Be aware that it is a double action, hammer fired pistol with a trigger pull of 9lbs. 17.5 oz unloaded. There is actually two versions the CPX 1RD, and the CPX 2RD. Specs are the same, the 2 is listed as being $10 cheaper. No idea what the difference is. Also I found out that the red dot used is a Crimson Trace that is always on, i.e, no off switch. Battery life is 20,000 hours (a little over 2 years of continual use).
I 'think' the difference between the 1 and the 2 is that one of them has a MS. Don't recall which is which. And you're right, the CPX is hammer fired with a heavier trigger pull. Probably one of the reason it gets somewhat of a bad rap. Imagine all the striker-fired-only people complaining about what a 'terrible' trigger it has...
Well, I still have an original LC9 and had a KT P11. Carried them for a decade. Never really had a problem with the triggers. I like my LC9s better but the double action trigger is okay. Just trying to get an idea of something to recommend for my brother. He is not a gun guy but I finally talked him into getting a concealed permit...just because. It's kind of funny, he agreed to get a permit but said he wouldn't carry a gun just keep one in his motor home while traveling. Once he got the permit, he decided he wanted to carry. I'll just let him borrow my LC9 until he decides on something else and/or the availability of popular carry guns goes up and prices come back down.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Remember that you and I are from a generation that grew up with hammer-fired pistols being the predominant platform. We see a hammer-fired pistol with a 7-9lb trigger as perfectly fine. Many of the newer striker-fired shooters would call it terrible.

The LC9 should do for your brother nicely though as it provides a bit more safety with the long DA trigger pull. For him or anyone that is probably only going to shoot occasionally, Taurus, Ruger and S&W are the deals and a lot more affordable. And you know me, I think Taurus provides a very good value comparable to their direct competition.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

If this is based upon the Keltec p11 - I had one of those. The recoil was too much for me to be accurate with at the range. In a stressful situation I think it would be worse. It's just physics.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

aerynsun wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:36 pm

If this is based upon the Keltec p11 - I had one of those. The recoil was too much for me to be accurate with at the range. In a stressful situation I think it would be worse. It's just physics.
The SCCY is a copy of the P11 as is the LC9. I had/have both and never really had a problem with recoil. It was stiff but manageable. It never really had a problem shooting either accurately. The double action trigger took some getting used to however.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Mac66 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:21 pm

The SCCY is a copy of the P11 as is the LC9. I had/have both and never really had a problem with recoil. It was stiff but manageable. It never really had a problem shooting either accurately. The double action trigger took some getting used to however.
Some people have big strong hands. You may be one of those people. My hands are average, so that could be the difference.

Everyone should take their cc handgun and try to fire it under stress two ways - two hand grip and one hand grip.

Go to an outdoor range when it is empty. Start 30 yards from the firing line and run as fast as you can when you get to the line, draw, and fire as fast as you can at a target 21 feet away. Don't try to get into your best stance. Don't try to get the best grip you can. Don't try to line up the sights the best you can. Your life is in danger and you wouldn't do that in real life. Grab and go. Fire 3 shots in rapid succession. If you pause at any time you are not being honest with yourself. Do it two and one hand.

I think a lot of people might rethink their choice of cc after that.

Even this exercise is not the best because you are not surprised by an attacker. The target isn't moving. In the above exercise you are safe and mentally and physically prepared for what you are going to do.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

aerynsun wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:11 pm
Mac66 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:21 pm

Some people have big strong hands. You may be one of those people. My hands are average, so that could be the difference.

Everyone should take their cc handgun and try to fire it under stress two ways - two hand grip and one hand grip.

Go to an outdoor range when it is empty. Start 30 yards from the firing line and run as fast as you can when you get to the line, draw, and fire as fast as you can at a target 21 feet away. Don't try to get into your best stance. Don't try to get the best grip you can. Don't try to line up the sights the best you can. Your life is in danger and you wouldn't do that in real life. Grab and go. Fire 3 shots in rapid succession. If you pause at any time you are not being honest with yourself. Do it two and one hand.

I think a lot of people might rethink their choice of cc after that.

Even this exercise is not the best because you are not surprised by an attacker. The target isn't moving. In the above exercise you are safe and mentally and physically prepared for what you are going to do.
Hmmm....not sure I could run 30 yards with my knees :lol:

Perhaps I could just fast walk.

Seriously though, the last time I shot both the LC9 and LC9s together I did okay with the LC9 until I shot the S. Then going back to the LC9, i couldn't hit squat with the first shot due to the difference in trigger pull. I was doing draw and fire double tap drills. The double action trigger takes some getting used to and practice.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

just got a line on a LC9s with 3 mags, 2 holsters, Talon grips, $300 for my brother. Waiting to hear back
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:59 am just got a line on a LC9s with 3 mags, 2 holsters, Talon grips, $300 for my brother. Waiting to hear back
That would be a very good price even in normal times. Good luck.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:27 pm
Mac66 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:59 am just got a line on a LC9s with 3 mags, 2 holsters, Talon grips, $300 for my brother. Waiting to hear back
That would be a very good price even in normal times. Good luck.
Deal is done, will pick it up on Wed. Even if my brother didn't want it I would have probably bought it anyway for the future. Too good a deal to pass up.