vehicle maintenance

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: vehicle maintenance

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:26 am I use Seafoam in my gas tank every now and then.. keeps injectors clean
like everything else, follow directions and not use in excess ... I use it about every 6months
I've seen that but never used it. I occasionally put in Lucas. Looking at some YT videos it does seem to work well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

The high speed tuneup cleaned the fuel injectors and the engine of carbon buildup.

The outer right tie rod end was the cause of a slight tremor in the steering wheel.

The next repairs on Thursday will be major.
1. Because I have the rubberized parts lubricated everytime the oil is changed, I guess that I prolonged the seal on the right front axle. The seal is going to be replaced.
2. I will have two motor mounts possibly replaced. Motor mounts are supposed to last 5-7 years according to the literature. 16 years won't be too bad.
3. The lower front control arms will be replaced. I live in an area festooned with tail gating drivers, speed bumps, and unmaintained roads. I tried to anticipate the speed bumps with lifetime alignment with Firestone. However, when the control arms go . . . Local fire department gave council testimony that doing 15 mph over speed bumps will break the frame of a fire truck and stop putting all around. I responded by writing that the city council members should have speed bumps put on their streets.

I know that the owner of the repair shop can do the job. However, I don't know about the mechanic. Google is my friend. I gave the owner the information about the car, in writing, the torque settings on tightening the bolts and a video on how to replace the lower control arms on my model of car.

For the frugal among us:
1. there is now equipment which will permit flushing of fuel injectors without having to go through the former practice of removing car parts;
2. your catalytic converter is either bolted on (mine) or welded on. Before you spend thousands to replace the same, rinse it out with a soapy solution. You have to take it off to be able to soak it.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Something has come up that requires my driving an extra 500 miles every couple of weeks. Did it last week and have to do it again this week.

1. I took the car in Monday morning for a tire inspection. The front tires are starting to go. Very knowledgeable manager at Costco. Recommended just wearing them out and coming in shortly before the 5 year limitation on proration in a few months to learn if I can get a proration.

2. checking the fluid levels this afternoon, including the battery fluid.

3. The mileage will be all desert driving. Was 111 degrees Fahrenheit where I drove with no service facilities between major cities.

Just a reminder that with the lifting of mandated restrictions, there will be more of my moron/speeding/reckless drivers on the road. At one point, I simply got off the road on Sunday, into air conditioning, drank some liquids and read a book. Nothing is worth losing your life over - like getting home 15 minutes early.