Hurricane season 2020 is upon us...

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Hurricane season 2020 is upon us...

Post by tom mac »

Up in NY, looks like just rain now... time will tell by Tuesday
You can't fix stupid !
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

It was brutal here. Hunkered down to avoid a sunburn all day!
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

prediction on LI is more wind than rain as the storm is west of NYC

Not raining yet but went out to eliminate any possible flying objects, take down umbrellas, plants , etc

But we are under a tornado watch ( rare here )... rain not expected till noon, heavy winds ( 60 )from 1 to 4pm and then mostly out of here

Got the gas rotated for the gennie, cars filled, propane done.... normal storm preps....really don't expect much damage here
You can't fix stupid !
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

Every year in April or early May I fill a 64 qt cooler with food and put it away in closet. It contains mostly canned food but also dry goods like potato flakes, rice, oatmeal, raisins, pancake mix, coffee, vegetable oil, etc...it's enough to feed my family for about 15 days. I also put away 48 gallons of drinking water plus bleach. I keep them in storage until December when I put them in the pantry to get used.
I have also been keeping 2 7 gal buckets of individual freeze dried meals which is enough for about 14 days. These are always kept in the closet as they have 25 year shelf life.
For fuel I always have 3-5 propane tanks full for cooking and anything between 10-20 gallons of gas for the generator...I can always get gas out of my truck which has 25 gallon tank. I only need 2.5 gallons of gas for my inverter generator per day for one portable at night A/C and refrigerator.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

We got some heavy downpours on Saturday then a bit of rain here and there the last couple of days. That’s about it thankfully.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

Yeah we've gotten a lot of rain in last 4-5 days.
The water level on the lake behind my house has gone up 4-5" in 5 days for total of 11" since June.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Well, as predicted ( which is unusual ) it was mostly wind with an hour of rain... wind peaked at 70mph.
No trees down here as most of mine are regularly trimmed up....but many small branches/crap. Took 2 days to clean up.
Never lost power but did loose cable/internet as on the next couple blocks over a main cable line got taken out and they just cleared up the trees yesterday.
This morning cable back.
So not much in my area tho 400,000 on Long Island were out of power for a while and still some out till Monday ( closer to NYC )
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well, we've got a couple of Tropical Lows heading into the Gulf that are predicted to turn into Tropical Storms later today or tomorrow. TS 13 is forecast to turn into a Cat 1 by Monday morning. The middle of that track is currently projected over Florida. We'll see how that develops over the weekend.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Looks like it could be interesting start to the week for you all.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

And the party has started!

Food stuff upgraded! See food thread