Vehicle preps

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: Vehicle preps

Post by David »

ratf51 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:29 pm Now on my "to get" list: Socket wrench set (Harbor Freight), some sort of air pump, a tire repair kit. Thanks!
+1 for TM's suggestion for tire repair supplies. Walmart is a good place to get the tire repair kits and pumps. They usually have a little section for all that stuff in the auto section.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

IMO, a tire plug should at least last to get you home. Some do work better than others.

I actually use to carry 3 diff types of tire pluggers...
Reg gummies/glue with tool
Some sort ( unknown ) brass tipped gummy you'd just shove in
The Stop and go
The S&Gp was used many time on my MC trips with others. In 7 of 8 times we were able to use with tire on rim, done in about <5 mins. ( the odd time it was a jagged hole and we had to remove tire to fix ).

Now days in my vehicles I only carry the S&Go tools... only change was after using up the mushroom plugs I opted for "gummie" shafted mushroom plugs found on the internet... they worked even better.

I also found one time in a steel belted car tire, after about 500 miles, the steel belts were ripping up the stem. But it was ok as we had pulled the tire to put in a plug-patch ( only really approved type by tire makers ).. then again on the car in use, we wore out several tire without issues that were plugged.

patch plug; tire must be removed
https://www.amazon.com/Yosoo-Tubeless-P ... p_pl_dp_12
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I read David's original posting.
1. Yes, lazy mechanics use air impact wrenches improperly. I replaced the lug nuts on all 4 wheels.
2. Oil changes. The last one I did was about 1972 in St. Louis, MO. I use a trusted mechanic for oil changes. When it goes up on a lift, I have this done:
The following seals under the car to be sprayed with AT 205:
rubber seals
rubber bushings
boot
top of strut
tortion bar
cv axle
rubber boot
rubber control arm bushings
All you have to have is one of the rubber seals age, crack, and break and you have a big bill. No discount or dedicated oil change place does this to my knowledge.
The next time I go in, I will have the struts examined.
3. I buy my parts whenever possible before I have any repairs done. You save money by buying OEM parts when OEM parts are necessary. Otherwise, it is ok to buy aftermarket. In the case of a recent radiator replacement, the OEM part got five stars and every auto parts store marketed radiator got criticisms and the OEM part was only $30 more and the last one last 15 years instead of the average 10 years for after market. You also make the mechanic happy when you don't take up a spot in his business waiting for a part to arrive.
4. Transmission. You will read all kinds of contradictory advice. I only drive about 4000 miles a year, city driving. That is very rough on a transmission. I don't wait for a color change in fluid. I don't flush. Most of the people in the forum do highway driving and read that the fluid should be changed every 40,000 or 60,000 or so. That is about three years of driving. I change when I drive 3 years or 4 changes in city driving.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

TM, where did you find the "gummy shafted mushrooms"?

bd, looks like you have a thorough maintenance plan- the less lazy mechanics the better...
... Just a Dude...
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Vehicle maintenance. My considerations. Current new vehicle price for what I bought new 15 years ago as one of the last produced in the model year - $35,000, Sales tax would be $3500. So, if my repair bill were kept under the sales tax figure per year, I would be ahead. Any insurance not being paid on a financed car would be pure gravy in savings.

Between May 2019 and May 2020, the repairs were new torque mount, new front engine mount,transmission drain, 4 lug nuts, radiator and hose, set of brake pads, turn the front rotors. Throw in a couple of oil changes, my changing out the tail light bulbs for leds. I had "lifetime brakes", but that company went out of business. I have "lifetime wheel alignment" because the morons in my part of the country put in speed bumps all over town despite the fire department warning the council that they could not go over one at a speed over 15 miles per hour or the suspension would be broken. So, I didn't spend anything close to $3500 - and those repairs except for brakes and transmission service were the first in 15 years.

For shtf, I do have a brand new come-along and a brand new high-low jack and similar tools in the garage with repair kits. Those are for shtf, if ever. I do otherwise all of the chemical changes. I have good, saved spark plugs, a couple of fuel injectors, materials for the next transmission service.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Gnepig wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:27 pm TM, where did you find the "gummy shafted mushrooms"

Alot of prep comes from my MC trips... got to go minimum re storage but also to cover most issues.

Online re the gummies for the S&Go
place prev purchased from is ( from a garage equipment store ) they have 2 sizes
http://patchboy.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc ... ode=12-3-9

here too;
http://www.bowessealfast.com/p-742-716- ... of-15.aspx

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-x-Xtra-Seal ... Sw4idbnQVe
You can't fix stupid !