Is this guy an idiot?

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Is this guy an idiot?

Post by Ronin.45 »

Bob wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:25 pm It just sounded to me like he was an AR salesman.

When you are part of fire team clearing a house, yeah...go with your AR.

Otherwise it is a crappy choice for HD in my opinion. I think many many of his points were highly debatable. You can work all the controls an AR but not pump a shotgun? You can, however, handle the blast from 8 shots from an AR pistol and the flash in the dark. AR rounds break up on drywall? He's an idiot.

I call that dude has never killed an actual animal in his life. He's a trained trainer.
I'm not saying this gives him any great insight to defensive shooting, but this is his bio
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:13 am Tom, he mentions briefly in the video that 5.56 bullets tend to break up when they hit solid surfaces. They will usually penetrate less than typical handgun rounds through barriers like drywall. Good defensive rounds will obviously stop even better than FMJ and that goes for handguns as well.

There was a good youtube video of the Army testing of military rifle ammo being shot into a house and the effect of the people (manicans) inside. The bullet may have been stopped by the wall but the flying cement and other particles were devastating. I couldn't find the video but it was worth watching. There was another channel that showed how bullets preformed when shot into common household obsticals like a chair or desk. Not like TV they got through.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:33 pm
Bob wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:25 pm It just sounded to me like he was an AR salesman.

When you are part of fire team clearing a house, yeah...go with your AR.

Otherwise it is a crappy choice for HD in my opinion. I think many many of his points were highly debatable. You can work all the controls an AR but not pump a shotgun? You can, however, handle the blast from 8 shots from an AR pistol and the flash in the dark. AR rounds break up on drywall? He's an idiot.

I call that dude has never killed an actual animal in his life. He's a trained trainer.
I'm not saying this gives him any great insight to defensive shooting, but this is his bio
I like the comment that he is a professional trainer.

Training for war is different then training for home or personal defense.

Training for war is generally first an offensive team effort and secondly a team defensive effort.

Training for personal and home defense is usually for one person with the first objective to avoid confrontation if you can (unless a loved one needs your help). It all you are defending is property, the cost of the property will generally be less then the legal fees. I'm not saying run out of your house if you are alone, but consider your options and consequences.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

And that may be my whole thorn in the side.

He sounds like a tactical team trainer training tactical teams. Which is nice, if you are part of one of those. Most HD situations are not.

Makes sense - I have always said I can spot an Army trained shooter...
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I've said for years that almost no one is an expert in self defense enough to teach it. So few have ever defended themselves with a weapon. Even fewer on multiple occasions. Those that have most likely didn't learn many secrets in the few seconds of violence. Students put so much stock in law enforcement and military backgrounds not realizing that the disciplines are barely related.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I have $10 that says he was in Logistics and transferred to training/cadre.

I have shot my whole life. I have no idea how many things I have killed with calibers from .22 to 30-06 plus 12g.

How I shoot in the woods, vs how I would shoot in my house (not that I have), vs how I would shoot in a squad in a city in Iraq (not that I have) are some very very different things.

Just an FYI on in house shooting. I actually have canal caps hanging in the closet w/ the AK.