The AR Pistol Thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: The AR Pistol Thread

Post by Bob »

.300 BO is our version of 7.62x39 for this platform. Could just get an AK pistol.

I really don't get the "loud" part that was discussed, but ok. Still, for indoor defense, this thing is fast and powerful (maybe too much so). I think 9mm would be better, but this was a lot cheaper than an MP-5!
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Bob wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:12 pm .300 BO is our version of 7.62x39 for this platform. Could just get an AK pistol.

I really don't get the "loud" part that was discussed, but ok. Still, for indoor defense, this thing is fast and powerful (maybe too much so). I think 9mm would be better, but this was a lot cheaper than an MP-5!
7.62x39 doesn't have nearly the ammo selection of 300blk. Standard military ammo and a few hunting loads don't come anywhere near the 110gr-245gr varieties for the BO.
It also doesn't work well in most AR variants so you'd be more likely to go AK which has it's own list of shortcomings.
I'm surprised you don't get the loud discussion. It makes me think you haven't shot one very much. Or at least not been around someone else shooting one. The concussion and blast are very noticeably worse. Especially if you are next to it.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I agree that AR's are extremely loud for a gopher round...but OK. I've put somewhere between a few hundred and a thousand rounds through AR's. Only a couple hundred through this. But again, I'm 6'2" 250 lbs, and 12g/30-06/whatever doesn't make me blink. I also play guitar in a heavy metal band so that might be it.

www.hollywoodblvdband.com

And yes - I have definitely "heard" that guys with .300 BO have a lot of "issues" but I don't know from personal experience.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I'm not sure what your height and weight have to do with noise tolerance. The heavy metal may have damaged your ears enough that you don't notice the difference as much.
When I said "it also doesn't work well in most AR variants" I was referring to 7.62x39 not 300blk. 300blk was designed for the AR.
7.62x39 has multiple issues mostly revolving around the rim. The case was not made to feed through a straight magwell. The rim and body taper require a constant radius magazine so it's not as reliable in an AR. That rim is also too big for an AR bolt face so the locking lugs have to be reduced so much that they become a common failure point. CMMG and some others have made AR hybrids that remedy some of these issues, but also take away some of the ARs characteristics.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Oh yeah - 7.62x39 all wrong for an AR....
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

I have shot a few rounds of 7.62x39 from sks to AK pistols I have never thought it as a loud round.

And yeah, 7.62x39 is 31 flavors of wrong for an AR....
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Yet oh-so-right in an AK. And real .30 caliber goodness. Two rounds I love; 30-30 Winchester, and 7.62x39

Just good all around for all sorts of things.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

So what are the 'pros and cons' of an AR pistol. What is the consensus on best caliber for the platform? What barrel length makes the most sense? How much 'better' would an AR pistol be over say a 9mm PCC?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

David wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:33 am So what are the 'pros and cons' of an AR pistol. What is the consensus on best caliber for the platform? What barrel length makes the most sense? How much 'better' would an AR pistol be over say a 9mm PCC?
I doubt you'd get a concensus on anything and AR pistols are more split than most.
I don't think you can say an AR pistol is "better than a PCC. They are two different animals. The AR has two advantages, power and range. The PCC has several of it's own. Quieter (and easier to suppress), uses cheaper ammo, can share mags with handgun, can be shot at any indoor range, is legal in way more competitions, can shoot steel targets at close range, and can be found cheaper normally.
If you need a rifle caliber, the best in a short barrel is 300blk. Sadly it's also prohibitively expensive
Best barrel length varies for each caliber.
9mm 5-8"
300blk 8.5"
5.56 10.5"
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Besides power and range the ability to carry what is essentially a short barrelled rifle on one's concealed carry permit is a big plus.

I agree that 10.5" bbl is optimal for a 223/556 AR pistol and arguably in 300 BO as well. I built mine before anything shorter than 11.5 was available. I even had to sign a waiver that I had a SBR tax stamp when I bought it because AR pistols were so new. Theses days I'd get a 10.5 bbl but mine is very accurate and being a heavy bbl it tames the recoil of the shorter barrel. I keep meaning to build another pistol upper but haven't got around to it yet.