Woods carry

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.

What is your preferred caliber for woods carry?

.22lr
11%
38 Special
11%
357 magnum
11%
44 magnum
No votes
9mm
No votes
40 S&W
11%
357sig
11%
10mm
11%
45acp
22%
Other, please discuss in a post.
11%

Total votes: 9

Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Woods carry

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:05 pm
Mac66 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:54 pm Im at my cabin right now cutting wood and walking around checking the game cameras. The bears are back and the cubs are getting big! Momma is still with them.

I've been carrying my 44 mag redhawk while walking around. 240 gr hardcast at 1400 fps ought to do the trick if they start anything.

I did bring my new old security 6 with different loads including bear loads. if it ever stops raining I'll try it out.
I've never owned a Blackhawk or Redhawk but they've always seemed like a really cool/neat revolver to have. As I understand it, the BH is single-action and the RH is double-action. If that is the case, I thing I'd prefer the RH as it could be both DA/SA. And I like the look better as it reminds me of a GP100 type revolver. That S6 you have is a nice find as well.
Yes the RH is double action. Ive always liked the black hawks but i traded a shotgun for a redhawk back in the 80s so thats what i have. I think the RH is more practical.

It did stop raining for awhile and I got a chance to shoot the 6. It was fun but my hand is aching.

I also brought some of my dad's shotguns to shoot. He had some sweet over/under 20s that we used to hunt grouse with along with some 12 ga. Kinda missing him right now
David
Administrator

Post by David »

He’s alive in your heart and memories buddy.

Yeah, any magnum is going to be felt after a day of shooting.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Paul's video on the 45acp for cougers and bears is very good.

I was carrying my 45s last fall with hardball ammo. I think it would do fine on black bears. I'm in the process of converting a couple of my pistols to 45 super which gives magnum velocities out of a 45acp compatible pistol. I also have my 44 mag and now my 357 snubbie. I think JSPs or hard cast SWC would work well in either
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I took a look at the Alaska State Troopers website and found that they issue the Gen 4 Glock 22, Rem 870 and AR15. I thought that was kind of interesting that they trust the 40 S&W for general use which I know includes occasional critter-control. Not saying the 40 S&W should be relied upon to stop a 1500 lbs charging Kodiak brown bear, but they trust it enough for general use. I'd consider that a pretty good endorsement of the caliber. Previous issued sidearms:

• Smith & Wesson Model 4006 .40 S&W- replaced by the Glock Model 22 .40 S&W
  • Smith & Wesson Model 686 .357 magnum- replaced by the Smith & Wesson Model 4006
  • Smith & Wesson Model 66 .357 magnum- replaced by the Smith & Wesson Model 686
  • Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 magnum- replaced by the Smith & Wesson Model 66
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Another possibility would be getting a Glock 41 and then also getting a conversion barrel in 10mm.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Or Glock gave them a deal they couldn't refuse.

I'm sure they have slugs with that 870 for large 4 legged critters
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Dave, you know as well as anyone that law enforcement weapon decisions are not always made with officer input, by qualified people, or for the right reasons. 10mm is way more expensive and harder to qualify with. Those are both more than enough reason for a department to not choose them even if they would be a much better choice in their area.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:20 pm Or Glock gave them a deal they couldn't refuse.

I'm sure they have slugs with that 870 for large 4 legged critters
Ronin.45 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:01 pm Dave, you know as well as anyone that law enforcement weapon decisions are not always made with officer input, by qualified people, or for the right reasons. 10mm is way more expensive and harder to qualify with. Those are both more than enough reason for a department to not choose them even if they would be a much better choice in their area.
Fair points.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Of course, you know what my woods carry is now....
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:07 pm Of course, you know what my woods carry is now....
Last I heard it was your HK. Or was it the XD45?