Power banks

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
David
Administrator

Re: Power banks

Post by David »

KILLERtj wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:31 am
David wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:07 am
KILLERtj wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:55 pm I have two powerbanks, both are "PocketJuice" brand. The one that resides in my EDC is 5000mAh and the larger 20,000mAh one sits at home.

KILLERtj
What did you pay for your 20,000mAh? I see them at Wallyworld for $32. I see it has good ratings/reviews.
Sorry the delayed response!
I got it at Meijiers on a Black Friday for $20, couldn't pass it up. Its seems to work well, but haven't used it a ton.

KILLERtj
Great deal!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:41 am Received this one yesterday to try out:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000461 ... 4c4dW7imEH

After looking at Bob's EDC video I decided to get one and try it out. It has a five-bar power indicator. Came with four lights lit up so I'll peg that at about 80% charged. I'm charging my phone and Ipad right now to drain it so that I can see how long it takes to charge back up just using the solar panels. It was inexpensive but we'll see how well it performs and how long it lasts. I'll update as I'm able to offer input.
So far this power bank isn't charging up in sun light very quickly...if at all. I'm going to run it up and down a few times and try again.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Feel pretty sure the one I got, posted about above, is a bust. I've run it up and down a few times now from the USB cable. When I use it to charge something it doesn't seem to have that much juice in it before it shuts down. Takes a long time to charge up though and in the sun it indicates it's charging but doesn't seem to be moving the dial at all. Even after all day in the Florida sun. So this particular one is garbage.

Bogart

Post by Bogart »

I got a couple of the ones with the solar panel like above from Patriot power, I think that the solar charging is just a gimmick, it takes days, 2 or 3 not really sure as I gave up and plugged it into the wall. To the companys credit buried in the fine print it stated as the solar panel is so small that it may take a while,( I don't remember the exact wording) to fully charge using only the solar panel.
Other than that these have been solid performers.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

As far as plugging into the wall, it is fair. At least for now. But the whole purpose was the solar panel. If it can't charge up during a full day in the Florida direct sun then it's a product to avoid imo. However, I may see about getting a different one from another maker and see how well it does as a comparison.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Looking on Amazon I saw this in the description for one of Amazon's 'Choice picks'...
5. Warmth Tips - Solar charging is a charging way for emergency use, and solar panel charging efficiency will be influenced by natural conditions and random factors, such as day and night,season winter and summer,geographical latitude and height above sea level, sunny, cloudy, rainy, and and so on.
It's subject to sunlight intensity and panel conversion rate, which may take long time to charge.In daily life, we highly recommend charge it via wall outlet.(According to our calculations, the solar charger will take 80 hours to be fully charged in the sunlight with the best conditions.)
In the Q&A section it stated 60 hours for a full solar charge. So somewhere between 60-80 hours. Figure a full week of sunshine to charge it up...if it works. That is pretty much garbage imo. I'll try it and see.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Does anyone have/use a solar powered battery bank? If so, how long does it take to charge up via solar for your unit?

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Haven't found one yet worth it ,... most solar panels are to small to effectively charge.
Also found most are over rated in mah.
You can't fix stupid !
Bogart

Post by Bogart »

I just got a new power bank to try out, Survival Theory on you tube did a review on one that looks promising. It's 25000 mAh, and has 4 solar panels that fold out. It's not much bigger than the 4 Patriots one I mentioned earlier, maybe 1/2" length and width and 3/4" thicker with the panels folded.

It arrived partially charged and I am using it now to deplete it and then see how long it takes to charge using the panels. When I get a chance I'll post my results.

It's a Riapow 25000 mAh model # fsp006. $40. It's on Amazon, but I used the link from the video and got 10% off.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I’ll be very interested in how long it takes to charge using the panels.