Wood chucks/ground hogs

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Wood chucks/ground hogs

Post by Ronin.45 »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:23 pm
Ronin.45 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:17 pm I never liked the spring traps. Humane killers, but huge pain to set the bigger ones. I'd rather use a live trap and just shoot them after they're caught.
Hadn't really thought about cage/live traps so thank you for that. That solve another problem. I have a woodchuck living under my shed behind my suburban house and was wondering how to get him without shooting him outright. Can't use a spring trap because of all the damn cats that go in and out of the yard. I guess I could but all the neighbors' cats would start to disappear.
I like cats well enough, but outdoor cats are fair game. People don't realize how much damage they do to the wildlife in this country. I've seen estimates in the billions of small game and ground nesting birds killed by domestic cats annually.
I once had to clean out a friend's farm. They had over 50 strays on the property. They were getting diseased and generally making a mess of the place.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Wood chucks/ground hogs

Post by Mac66 »

Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:40 am
Mac66 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:23 pm
Ronin.45 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:17 pm I never liked the spring traps. Humane killers, but huge pain to set the bigger ones. I'd rather use a live trap and just shoot them after they're caught.
Hadn't really thought about cage/live traps so thank you for that. That solve another problem. I have a woodchuck living under my shed behind my suburban house and was wondering how to get him without shooting him outright. Can't use a spring trap because of all the damn cats that go in and out of the yard. I guess I could but all the neighbors' cats would start to disappear.
I like cats well enough, but outdoor cats are fair game. People don't realize how much damage they do to the wildlife in this country. I've seen estimates in the billions of small game and ground nesting birds killed by domestic cats annually.
I once had to clean out a friend's farm. They had over 50 strays on the property. They were getting diseased and generally making a mess of the place.
Very good point but as my wife pointed out it's not like we are running out of birds and other critters.

Edited to add. While sitting in my family room one day I watch a flock of about 50 small birds land in the holes in the chain link fence in the back yard. The lowest ones were about a foot off the ground. The woodchuck came out, walked along the fence and when he got to the birds he reached up and snatched one out of a fence hole. He began eating it while the other birds continued to sit there. Didn't expect that.