shocked

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
bp1

shocked

Post by bp1 »

shocked that I have not seen more ar15 chatter, this is my 1st post and was thinking about budget ar15, cause of age and health I wont be running I think if I pull that string it will be the m&p sport 11. seems like it would serve my purpose , I have a tp9 sf elite canik which is as fine of 9mm out there . it will stand toe to toe in my opinion with all but highly custom guns. I like this site a lot. open to all advice specially on the ar. thanks 8-)
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: shocked

Post by Mac66 »

First, welcome to the site. Second while the Sport II is a good AR, I think the Ruger MPR is a better bang for the money. It has all the bells and whistles you could want at a very modest price...(never mind, not seeing the MPR on the Ruger website anymore).

As for AR's in general it is the golden age of ARs and the best time to get into ARs what with all the choices and prices available. I have 8 or 9 of them all but one are home built including a couple AR pistols. The one factory rifle I have is a S&W MP15 ORC (optics ready carbine, not the Sport) which is about 10 years old now.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Also welcome to the site. I have a couple AR’s; SA Saint and a Bushmaster/PSA. The Saint is nicer overall but I’m not an AR guru so the other one is fine as well. Got them both for trades.

I agree with Mac that this is the time to buy or build an AR. Prices are low and choices are high. And it really is the LEGO of the gun world (or Barbie with all the available accessories. And it’s a good stand-your-ground rifle. High capacity, fairly low recoil make it a good choice. And I’ve really seen them used recently for defense. Just recently here in Florida an 8-month pregnant mom used an AR when 2-3 home invaders broke into the home.

In regards to the Canik, never owned one but one of my buddies swears by them. And he’s very much the gun-guy.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Not a damn thing wrong with a basic S&W M&P-15 of whatever sort. Cheap, reliable, effective.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

The M&P Sport II and Canik are very solid, budget friendly guns. Both should serve you well in SD/HD and plinking roles.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Hello and welcome to the site! If you have never had an AR before I think it is wise to go with something like the S&W. I have seen multiple positive reviews of said rifle and I am sure that it would serve you well. Once you have it here is my recommendation for what's next-- get ammo and magazines. Get at least 1, maybe 2, 20 round mags (and 30 rounders to your heart's or budget's content.) Why? The shorter mag makes it easier to work off of a bench for things like sighting in the rifle. Of course if you live in one of the states where magazine capacity is limited, then, moot point. Happy Shooting!