Mouse Trap

Here you can post your DIY projects or links/videos.
Mac66
Board Founder

Mouse Trap

Post by Mac66 »

Had a problem with mice in the hunting cabin. Used to use conventional mouse traps, the spring kind but they are only good once and then you have to check, clear and reset them. Was looking for something long term since I typically didn't go up to the cabin for months at a time.

I found the answer online. Basically a bucket with a trap door. The mouse climbs the ramp, sees/smells the bait, gets out about halfway onto the platform and falls into the bucket. The counter weight resets the platform. You fill the bottom of the bucket up with antifreeze which drowns, poisons and pickles the mouse with no smell.

The first time I checked the trap after two weeks I had three dead mice in it. There is usually one or two in it whenever I check it though I had 6 in it after about a month of not checking it.

I used a kitty litter bucket I had laying around but you can use just about anything. I used a piece of paneling as a platform and a couple wood screws as pivots and screws with washers as the counter weight. It continues to catch mice more than a year after I set it up. Look up bucket mouse traps online/youtube for more info.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aerynsun

Re: Mouse Trap

Post by aerynsun »

Check some of these out.
https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube ... e&ie=UTF-8

I had a couple in my RV. It drove me crazy at night.

I put some water in the tub. Then left the curtain out. They climbed up the curtain and could not get out. A couple of wacks ended it.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

1. I use a bucket. A ramp up to the top of the bucket. A steel round across the top of the bucket. Holes punched in the side of the bucket to insert the round. The round will rotate when a mouse steps on it. Put peanut butter on the steel round.

2. the reality is that if shtf, big game will be tapped out very quickly. Happened in the US during the Depression. You may be left with just nice and rats for protein.

3. Although I have mouse and rat traps in quantity (they are cheap), the bucket idea will keep a drowned mouse or rat from going moldy right away.

4. on my small city lot in a large city, I have trapped mice/rats/squirrels/skunk'raccoon/opossum.
Erich

Post by Erich »

Wow, this is a neat thread! :)
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

FYI, I checked the bucket trap in the cabin for the first time in about 6 months this weekend. There were at least 30 mice in it. :D
Last edited by Mac66 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

mice. 5 gallon bucket with water. drill hole through sides near top and insert a steel rod that rotates freely. put peanut butter on it. put a ramp up the side of the bucket to the top so the mouse can get up, smell the peanut butter, attempt to walk out and get the same. no poison, no escape. eliminates fleas. saves mouse from spoiling. excellent source of protein . . . .