Long term food storage ideas

Recipes, freeze-dried, deydrated and all food related threads.
David
Administrator

Re: Long term food storage ideas

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

My experience - and, of course, it might not be your experience.

Over the years, I purchased cheap ($1-$2) plastic storage cylinders from big lots and large clear plastic storage bins (snapware-no longer available). If I stored grains/flour in the cylinders in the kitchen cabinets, they might get insects. Never got insects within the garage.

So, the cheap storage approach has been:
1. buy items like pastas in the original sealed bags and leave it in them.
2. keep plastic storage cylinders of rice and grains I use in the garage on a shelf.
3. keep the bulk items in clear, large plastic containers.
4. spread moth balls in the garage.
5. use an ion generator in the garage periodically. I used to put in an electronic bug killer and never found any dead bugs. Plastic containers keep out the rodents.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I still believe in seal-able type of containers esp for things like pasta....
For many I still use good old glass Ball jars with sealing lids and drop in an O2 depleter , No O2 means nothing will hatch as far as bugs.... jars get stored back in original box they came in. It's easy to see what in the jars.

Of course mylar bags sealed with O2 packet work good too and can be mutli packed into a 5 gall bucket so you open small amounts at a time.
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

There is a myth that all flour goes bad within a year. Not quite true. If flour is unopened, stored cool and not "whole wheat", it can last longer.

Last week, I went through my storage and decided to convert the flour into hardtack or crackers. The nights were cool to cold so the oven would be doing double duty by staying on all night at a low temperature. So, I ended up with another 15 pounds of long term hardtack and crackers. No desiccant, no sealing required. Just stored in large plastic container to keep out the animals.

A very inexpensive alternative to spending big bucks on a #10 can of "pilot bread". It will stay good for over 50 years. Just crumble into a cup of hot water or coffee like the troops would do all the way up to and including the Spanish American War as it was a staple in the US military.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

For my more rotatable items ( like flour, legumes for use in <5 yrs ) I still use 1 liter seltzer bottles with an 2x-O2 deplete packets.
they are free and in small enough size and I write dates on them with a sharpie.

I know their NOT the best as per O2 leakage, but these are items used in a planned time and stack well. Biggest issue is only keeping track of dates.
It only needs 12 days below 1% to kill all in any stage, so I double up on the o2 depleter to keep it low for that time.
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

When I was more active in baking bread, I would keep 50 pounds of specific bread flour stored at home. I have now converted anything purchased prior to February 2022 to long term hardtack and thin biscuits that will outlive my lifetime. If baked as thin as saltine crackers, no danger of breaking teeth. What I baked was put in zip lock baggies and then into plastic containers in the dark garage. No danger from mold, bacteria, insects, vermin.