Convoy S2+

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
David
Administrator

Convoy S2+

Post by David »

One of my all time favorite flashlights is the Convoy S2+. An 18650 tube like with 3 or 5 modes (the extra 2 modes can be 'hidden'). For less than $20 you can have a durable light with clip and 18350 extension tube. In a variety of colors. My favorite is the orange color but I use the black or grey for on-duty use.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdc
Board Founder

Re: Convoy S2+

Post by bdc »

I have some of the model upon Dave's recommendation. They are quality lights and are held as backups for shtf. I explain.

1. I live in an area of repeated car burglaries. Last Sunday, my car and the one across the street. Two, two blocks away. One lady's daughter had the catalytic converter taken! So, none of the lights were taken because of two reasons: a. the trunk release is blocked; and, b. the flashlights are hidden where a quick in-and-out thief would not look. So, the car lights are the cheap Sipik sk68 and Sipik SK98 lights with piles of batteries.

2. My girlfriend, the dog and myself do a loop around a hill walking after dark at night. We carry two Sipik SK98s. The city sidewalks are generally are in a state of disrepair. If either of us were to drop a light, it would not be as painful as dropping a Convoy which costs about twice as much.

3. You watch the video. How much are you going to really remember about programming the light when you have the stress of shtf? My son and I grew up with one mode flashlights. So did the girl friend. Lots of luck in thinking that they will intuitively know what to do with the light when shtf and no experience with this model of light. KISS.

4. Comment on gifting lights. My older brother has 4 daughters. Once a year, they get together in a town 300 miles a way. Before that time, my brother will come through and I will give him a Sipik Sk68 light with a 4 pack of aa batteries in zip lock baggie for each daughter. They can be carried on a plane. It is simply too expensive to mail items like that within the US.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

How to change the mode group:
Choose the low mode, wait about 5 seconds, when you see flashing,turn off your flashlight. Then turn it on, you can switch to 3mode group or 5mode group.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Convoy S2+ 18650 Flashlight: Should Everyone Really Have One of These?

https://zeroair.org/2020/11/03/convoy-s ... ht-review/

For the price (normally less than $20) I'd have to say 'yes'.

I like that you can use a long lasting 18650 or pop in a conversion tube and use either a 16340 or 18350 battery. And the clips are great.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Yeah. I have 4 of them. Some guy named "David" recommended them. Not too surprisingly, they are bagged in zip lock baggies with two charged 18650 batteries each. They are back ups for shtf, not primaries. Batteries charged and tested November 2020.

The primaries are Sipik SK 98s. 1/2 the price. Although s-t can hit the fan at any time, I don't think it is a good idea routinely to carry shtf gear as daily wear. It is tested and retested and is to be deployed when the balloon appears to be going up. I apply the same logic to carry knives - inexpensive speed safe Kershaws and used Enduras with the Spyderco Police models sitting in reserve for shtf. Three Police models sitting next to this computer.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I've found them to be very good flashlights. Been using them for years and one of the higher quality lights that have come out of China for a bargain price. I have several, in various colors. I have a very nice orange one that is for hiking.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

The conversation on the SK68 brought the Convoy S2+ to mind. I still think this is one of the best 18650 tube lights you can buy. And still found for under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/LITNIT-S2-Temper ... r=8-4&th=1

The one in the ad above states 1800 lumens. Those might be 'Chinese' lumens which are normally exaggerated. My Convoys are around 500 lumens which is a lot of light. However, 18650 lights like the BLF A6 put out 1200-1600 so it's possible this is an updated model. It certainly has more modes than mine.

For a simple thumb clicky 18650 light, the Convoy is hard to beat.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I have 3 on your recommendation. Sit with charged batteries in a plastic box. Considered first line when shtf. In the meantime,
original Sipik sk98 are the deployed ones and used. Cheaper. Reliable. Sipik sk 98 knockoffs are held as a second reserve and for handouts after shtf to people in the circle.

Philosophy One
Always use the best no matter what until it fails. Nothing set aside, untouched until shtf.

Philosophy Two.
Do not mix shtf tools with every day tools. Keep the expensive, tested and reliable items unused until shtf because you don't know when you may have resupply or spare parts.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

On the night hike we had last night I handed one of my S2+ lights to my nieces husband to take. And of course it worked great. I'm glad I picked up several of these lights in recent years.