Cody Lundin

Post your resource links, articles, videos as well as your reviews on books, movies, videos etc.
David
Administrator

Cody Lundin

Post by David »

One of my favorite survival expert personalities. I've enjoyed both of his books as well as his time on Dual Survival. Would love to see him back on T.V. He might look like a bush hippie but he's one smart bush hippie! :D

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Cody Lundin

Post by David »

When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes

https://books.google.com/books?id=-swgf ... ns&f=false

https://www.amazon.com/Cody-Lundin-Surv ... 298&sr=8-2

An excellent resource from author and survival guru Cody Lundin. A no nonsense and in-your-face resource that covers practical and important aspects of avoiding, mitigating or surviving an emergency situation. I have it in e-book and paperback. Well worth the read.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive

https://www.amazon.com/98-6-Degrees-Kee ... 204&sr=8-1

This was Cody's first book and it is excellent. One of the best resources for the how and why of EDC items. Particularly from a guy that lives the life-style of off-grid 24/7. I'd consider this a must read. Humorous, educational and thought-provoking.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Cody put the following on his FB:
Dual Survival Lawsuit Update: Defendants Discovery Channel, Brian Nashel, and Truly Original

Bad news. I lost my appeal. My lawsuit showed that Discovery executive Jennifer Williams repeatedly offered me more than $14,000 to falsely state that I quit Dual Survival. When I refused to lie to fans for Discovery Channel, they then created the defamatory episode to make me appear unstable. Why? Money. My lawsuit was written to show that they feared Dual Survival would be cancelled after they fired me.

When I filed my defamation and false light lawsuit, I assumed that the judicial system would hold both sides accountable to create a fair playing field and would value the facts. I was very wrong.

The 9th Circuit court of appeals and the Arizona district court showed me the following things regarding my case:
-Context does not matter (perhaps the most terrifying factor in this list).

-Evidence showing months of actual malice from the Defendants - some laced with profanity - of them plotting, editing and then celebrating their success in defaming me does not matter. (This evidence was so egregious that the Defendants’ attorneys threatened to sue me if I made it public.)
-The Defendants hiding more than 360 documents under the guise of “privilege” - evidence the judges never saw, yet dismissed anyway - does not matter.
-More than 110 fact disputes - most of which we disproved, and which are normally taken to trial to find the truth - does not matter.
-Discovery dubbing profanity into my mouth does not matter.
-Brian Nashel repeatedly lying under oath at his deposition does not matter.
-That the Defendants literally redacted parts of disclosed documents to hide their bad behavior - sometimes in the middle of a sentence - does not matter.

The 9th Circuits Order to dismiss my case was so short and vague that my attorneys wondered if they had even read the entire brief.
It gets worse. Fearing the facts, in August of 2018, the Defendants contacted us about a possible settlement. Both sides met in person to discuss settlement options on October 5, 2018. Incredibly, during this October 5 meeting, Discovery’s attorney suggested another option that they were considering. He said that in light of Discovery’s litigation costs, if they lost the summary judgment that they may just admit their liability and fight over damages! What would the judges who dismissed my case - judges Silver, Clifton, Owens, and Bennett - think, if they had known that the Defendants were considering admitting their guilt in defaming me? Embarrassment? Indifference?

This illustrates how absurd the legal system has become. As a friend later told me, it is a “legal system,” NOT a “justice system.”
Discovery’s actions are especially insulting as my lawsuit showed that they hired me to help clean up their mess caused by Man vs. Wild. In 2007 and 2008, Discovery received adverse publicity related to “survival expert” Bear Grylls and allegations of him faking his show. In 2009, Discovery executives told me that Dual Survival had to have “realism” and “competency” due to the fallout from the Man vs. Wild fiasco and the heavy damage it did to Discovery’s credibility in the survival show genre.

My lawsuit also showed that many people developed, edited, conspired, marketed and/or otherwise contributed to or supported my defamation. Un-honorable mentions to those most involved in creating the defamatory episode... Discovery executives Eileen O’Neill, Delores Gavin, Josh Berkley and, of course, Truly Original showrunner Brian Nashel.

It’s been a long road. Thank you all very much for your support. Here’s to better things in 2021 for all of us. Stay safe and true, Cody

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Cody's book is an excellent resource, and the above video is quite accurate in regards to the kit contents Cody lists in his book. But some of the items definitely need to be updated. I think Cody must have comprised this list decades ago. Technology has advanced since then. For example, he has a AA mini-Maglite. Which at one time was a good choice. But there are LED lights of the same or smaller size that put out more lumens and have more 'blinky' options if desired. And they last longer in terms of battery life. And they can usually take both lithium ion batteries as well as conventional batteries.

He seems to be very content in recommending a Nalgene bottle. I'm a bit surprised by this actually. While it's an excellent bottle, and I have several Nalgene-clone bottles and have used them extensively over the years, for a survival kit I think stainless steel is better and prefer Dave Canterbury's Kleen canteen or Pathfinder SS bottle. I have the Pathfiner SS bottle and it's also seen a lot of use. And while you can use chemicals to disinfect suspect water in the Nalgene, you can do the same in the SS bottles as well as boil. And it will take a lot more abuse than the plastic bottles, even the more heavy duty Nalgene bottles. Now I stress this for a survival kit or if you're out in the wilds. I routinely take a plastic Camel-Bak bottle everywhere with me, particularly in the summer, when out of the house. But I have access to a SS bottle (as well as a plastic Sawyer water filtration bottle) in my vehicles GHB.

I'd have both a Zippo and a Bic-style lighter in the kit.

And I agree with the guy in the video about using something like an Altoid's tin because film role plastic containers are a thing of the past for most folks. And it's multi-use in that you can make char cloth.

I'd add something like a credit card fishing kit. I know those will work because Bob used one to catch fish at one of our SEP gatherings.

But overall it's a great book and a good list. Just needs updating and personalization depending on your AO.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Cody just celebrated his 30th year running the Aboriginal Living Skills School in Prescott Arizona. He had an alumni gathering and dinner that looked like a lot of fun. I'd love to take one of his courses. I love the desert having been born there.