P226 40S&W to 9mm

A section for all the tweaks done and available to our toys.
David
Administrator

P226 40S&W to 9mm

Post by David »

A while back I picked up a Sig P226 with both 40S&W and 357sig barrels. It was a police trade-in that I got a good deal on. Called Sig and it was manufactured in 2004. Frame has a rail and is marked "Sigarms Exeter NH Frame made in Germany".

I'm seeing discussion on the forums as well as YT videos of people simply changing out the 40 or 357sig barrel for a standard Sig 9mm barrel, changing the recoil spring from 20# to 15# and of course using a 9mm mag and it works just fine. From what I'm understanding, the outside dimensions of the barrels are very close to each other so there isn't a lot of wiggle room. The 40S&W extractor doesn't hold the 9mm round as tightly but it doesn't seem to be causing an issue for the folks I'm seeing. Here are some videos that I'm seeing;

I'd like to see if anyone here has done this and what your experience is with the switch. I'm interested in doing this because I like to make pistols 3-n-1 when feasible. It looks like this is a simple and less expensive way to convert a 40S&W over to a 9mm. If you've done this I'd like to hear your results. Thank you.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: P226 40S&W to 9mm

Post by David »

I've put this on several other forums and it looks like several others have done the same thing and it's been successful for them. The outside diameter of the standard 9mm barrel is very close to the 40S&W and 357sig barrels.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".