Why you don’t modify internals...

A section for all the tweaks done and available to our toys.
David
Administrator

Why you don’t modify internals...

Post by David »

...unless you really know what you’re doing. And the reason I skip over ‘customized’ guns when browsing the BST sites.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Why you don’t modify internals...

Post by Ronin.45 »

I've seen guys try everything to make a gun "better", but some just take it too far.
There's nothing wrong with a trigger job, but if you're disabling internal safeties to the point it can go off if dropped or slammed closed, you are an idiot.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

sometimes the best way to smooth out the trigger is just just shoot the piss out of it... it wears in nicely. :)
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

From the description in the video:

1. He installed an aftermarket hammer and sear that were labeled "gunsmith installation only".
2. He disabled the firing pin block safety on his firearm for a shorter reset.
In his defense, this handgun had been tested and run weekly at ranges for roughly 1,000 rounds before the sear engagement failed and caused the accidental discharge.

The highlighted portion is what really caught my attention. It took a while before the pistol failed. So he modified the pistol inappropriately and got a false sense of security because he initially thought it was safe. This is why I pass over any pistol that is listed as 'customized' when browsing the BST ads.

And fiddling around with internals is a poor substitute for skill set.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".