Can't stop myself

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Can't stop myself

Post by Ronin.45 »

At the beginning of Covid, I had 3 rimfires. I have always loved 22lr, but pretty much had my bases covered. A tricked out MKII, integral 10/22, and braced charger were plenty for plinking, steel challenge, and groundhog control.
Shortly into lockdown, I decided I wanted a smaller, lighter pistol. I looked at all the available options and couldn't find exactly what I wanted. In the end, I decided on a cut down MKII "assassin" pistol. It took quite a while to assemble the parts and get it all together due to shutdowns and delays. It was entirely worth it. I love that thing and it quickly became a favorite plinker as well as my go-to groundhog killer.
As matches got started back up, everyone was switching to rimfire because ammo was crazy. I ran my MKIIs for a while, but they are not designed for holster work or fast mag changes. A few friends had picked up TX22 Competitions and they had proven themselves in our matches. With shortages and booming popularity, it took months to find them, but I ended up with a Comp and standard model TX. I upgraded them a little and just got kydex to start using them in more matches.
Many of our matches are carbine friendly and my 10/22s were ill-suited for those types of events. I always liked the M&P15-22, but felt it was a little flimsy. After much research, I decided on the Tippmann M4-22 and couldn't be happier. It has become the most reliable 22lr I've ever owned and absolutely blazes at indoor and outdoor matches.
Through some buying/selling/trading, I ended up getting into rimfire precision shooting. I cycled through a few rifles because I was able to trade up either making money or dead even. I ended up with a Bergara B14r that shoots better than me and a new hobby I'm quite enjoying. In fact, I'm shopping for $300 triggers right now. I doubt I'll get into precision as much as other games, but I'll enjoy the challenge from the shallow end of the pool.

Somehow I went from 3 to 8 rimfires in the last 18 months and still catch myself looking at more. A Tippmann Micro braced pistol is calling my name and the Bergara BXR keeps enticing me. Who know if I'll be strong enough to resist for long.
David
Administrator

Re: Can't stop myself

Post by David »

So the uptake is you can't give me any flak :lol:

I hey, you gotta enjoy things in life!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

David wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:53 pm So the uptake is you can't give me any flak :lol:

I hey, you gotta enjoy things in life!
I'll always give you flak😁
David
Administrator

Post by David »

:lol:

Hey, I've been good. I've only recently bought a TX22 which kinda leads right back to this thread. ;)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Ahhh yes, a .22 obsession! That particular little pill can be quite addictive! But oh so fun! Keep us posted on the continuance of the disease progression.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

ratf51 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:22 am Ahhh yes, a .22 obsession! That particular little pill can be quite addictive! But oh so fun! Keep us posted on the continuance of the disease progression.
I'm sure I'll end up with something else. Ammo prices are stalled out after the Russian ban so rimfire will continue to be my preferred round.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

If you haven't found them yet I recommend checking out rimfirecentral.com. It is an excellent forum for all things rimfire.