tomahawks

This section is for discussion on martial arts, defensive tactics, hand-2-hand combatives and the weapons involved in these systems.
bdcochran

Re: tomahawks

Post by bdcochran »

Well, you picked two of the best commercial outlets.

I started laughing when you wrote about opening crates and digging trenches. I was knife dealer at the time of the First Gulf War. I got a private order for a bunch of the then new Spyderco Endura for a USMC unit. I got them the knives with no compensation to me. They said that they used Enduras to open 50 gallon drums and similar uses until the blades were worn down to a nub.

This is exactly what people need to understand. You work with what you have, not the perfect tool that you don't have. You understand that you have to be flexible. You think. Nepalese. You don't have the budget to give everybody the latest firearm in the 19th century, so you take a farming implement and train people to use it as a weapon. I was issued a bayonet by the US Army. So one day, some instructor from another unit came by and roared: "what is the spirit of the bayonet"? Dead silent. No one knew. The Army had discontinued bayonet training. I thought maybe it would be better if a pocket were issued and bayonet not issued - and this was 50 years ago.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Finishing making 4 walking/defensive sticks today. The end caps that came from the PRC came in after three months and they didn't fit. So, a trip to the hardware and I bought 2 packages of 4 end caps.

1. Your qukie cleaning poles from the store are not the most attractive metal handles. However, I have never seen a bent Quikie pole handle. 7/8 diameter on both units if I trim a plastic threaded end on one unit. They have holes at the top for hanging. Will add some 550 or 650 cord.
2. I had a long 1 inch diameter pole on which I once hung a Japanese curtain. I cut that pole in two, drilled holes at the top and put 550 cord through holes. That pole takes a 1"inch rubber tip.

At this point, someone will chime in that he has a gun. Ok. Do you have a gun for the pre-teener who you having stand watch at night while you sleep? The reality is that you are not going to buy and store firearms and ammunition for people in your circle, like your neighbors. Talking about reality like this. Do you really think that you are going to be reloading ammunition, hunting deer at the same time, planting a garden at the same time, and staying awake 24.7 to defend yourself against marauding people when shtf? For ME, not you, building a few primitive weapons now beats doing it after shtf. I will need a group around me to survive.

Humor - I remember a day in the army when the Captain had us run about 4 miles at the end of the day. As I am running, I am also carrying my bunk mate's M14 rifle! The next morning, only 37 people reported ready at the 7 am roll call. The commanding general had the company stand down. The average age was probably around 20 years old. The Captain overestimated the capabilities and physical condition of young men PAID to be fit and who exercised every day!
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

The Missus and I went to the axe throwing range the other night, it was fun:

Don't mess with Mrs Gene...
... Just a Dude...
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

:lol:
... Just a Dude...
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I am in the process of gifting gifting some of the hatchets that I have restored to relatives. In going through the spare parts, I found a rejected hatchet handle and an unused axe handle. Rather than throwing them out, I will be converting the rejects into defensive tools.

NO, I am not going to be a ninja. I am not Rambo either. I am not bugging out with a 40 pound pack and living off the land. I would NOT survive very long without having a support circle. The reality is that very few people have had paid firearms training, have served in the military or even know how to break down and repair their firearms.

I will pass on some research that I came across re the slaughter in Burundi and Central Africa between the Tutsi and Hutus during the administration when Mr. Clinton president. Over 400,000 people killed. Very few by firearms or hanging. Most were killed by machetes and hoes. Very sad situation.

When you consider that your neighbors do not have your firearms skills, how do you deal with the confusion and lack of skills when shtf? I will give the modified hatchet and axe handle to a neighbor who has absolutely no skills or training. That is called reality.