Straps and ties

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
bdcochran

Straps and ties

Post by bdcochran »

You should take a tour of strapworks.com. Has an incredible number of combinations of buckles, strap materials, widths and lengths.

Among my recent needs were: 1 . snap together buckles on varying length of water resistant material. To be used on coiled hoses and coiled extension cords; 2. detachable, metal end and material shoulder straps for surplus military bags.

Last week, I had an unrelated need for tying computer wires and other tool wires into shorter/compact coils. So, it was off to eBay and I bought cheap velcro ties.

A few years ago, I created set ups for over the shoulder/across the back carry of machetes and swords. I had not thought of strapworks, so I used 550 and 650 cord. Now that I think about it, I will be going on line to strapworks before the end of this year and learn whether I can do better with the company's materials.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Straps and ties

Post by tom mac »

I use motorcycle tubes.... they make great big rubber bands, are free, and you get quite a few from one tube.

Also use some d-ring straps to tie down thing when traveling on MC
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Ok Tom: You are on!

I go to the bicycle shop and obtain free bike inner tubes. I do Kaiser exercises with one of the bands every day. When you cut them up narrow, they are called ranger bands. Uses as follows. Attach a fire starter or other objects to a knife sheath. I have some cheap PRC large battery cases that don't close completely to my satisfaction. A band goes around the plastic box.

Currently, I cut lengths of thermaband material and tie them off, anchored to do side exercises. A bicycle inner tube would be indestructible as thermabands do break. I have not figured out how to tie two ends of a cut bicycle inner tube so that they don't come apart. Any suggestions?
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

the only thing I can think of to connect ends of two would be a climbing clip...in oval shape... stretch rubber and then couple
Of course a lot depends on how wide the rubber band is and I wouldn't want it flying back at me for some reason...
opplanet-edelrid-oval-powe.jpg
opplanet-edelrid-oval-powe.jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

You are absolutely right about snapping back.

Thermabands or "stretch bands" are used in physical rehabilitation. The material comes in some 6 or more strengths. Being flexible, you can tie off the ends. They will not come apart. However . . . the bands will snap when stretched too many times. If you buy them already cut, get out your checkbook. So buy it by the yard. Bicycle inner tubes are so tough you can never break them by stretching them. You just can not tie a square knot to join the ends. I am thinking about drilling near the ends of the cut tube and then attaching them with 650 cord which will never break as well.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I received in a shipment of adjustable straps that have a plastic closure at the end, like an adjustable belt. Used them on tying up extension cords and water hose. Ordered a couple of adjustable straps to put on military shoulder bags. Source - strapworks.com