TX22 10-16 round mag conversion

A section for all the tweaks done and available to our toys.
Mac66
Board Founder

TX22 10-16 round mag conversion

Post by Mac66 »

I posted this over on Glock talk but in case you don't read the rimfire forum here it is. More is better.

When I ordered my TX22 through Sportsmans Warehouse recently I never even bothered to look at the mag capacity. I ended up with the 10 round mag version. After a week of trying every day the 16 round mags finally were in stock on the Taurus website so I ordered some.

However looking at the 10 and 16 rounders it looked like the only difference was the slots in the side of the mag was longer on the 16 preventing the follower from going all the way to the bottom.

I finally got around to taking my TX mags apart to compare the 16 rnd ones to the 10 rnd one. Besides the follower slot the follower plug was much longer on the 10 rounder.

The mag plug is 1- 5/8" long so I cut an inch off of it to start. I ended up leaving it about 1/4". Next, I drilled and cut the slot longer on the 10.

Unfortunately the pin holding the follower wouldn't go into the slot. Apparently the walls of the mag on the 10 are thicker below the slot than on the 16. Or maybe not, never the less I couldn't get the pin to move lower than the hole in the slot. There are groves in the pin that ride the walls down. I started working on the walls of the mag with a dremel cutting/grinding wheel but I was buggering it up so I quit.

After looking at it awhile I looked at the follower pin. Why do you even need the pin? Apparently it's just to help load the mags. So I took the pin out and used the cut down follower plug in the cut slot 10 and loaded it up. Yup, 16 rounds.

But does it work? I ran the 10 rounder with 16 rounds twice on my bullet trap in the basement. Not an extensive test but proof of concept. I had no malfunctions.

How about running the cut down follower plug in the non cut 10 round mag without the follower pin. Yup, holds 16 rounds, runs like a clock (2 mags worth).

Bottom Iine...

You can get 16 rounds in a 10 round mag by simply cutting the mag plug down and removing the follower pin. I wouldn't even bother trying to cut slots in the mag. You can use a long narrow something through the follower hole to help with loading the first 10 rounds and then use your fingers for the rest.

If I lived in a hi-cap mag ban state I think I would cut the follower plug down on my 10 rounders but leave the follower pin in. You have to take the mag apart to take out the pin, but in case I traveled to a non ban state I could take it out and re-insert it when I returned. Or you could always move to a free state.;)
David
Administrator

Re: TX22 10-16 round mag conversion

Post by David »

Nice to know they can be converted without much fuss.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Was just up at the new house and shot the converted mags. Probably put about 10 mag loads through it. They worked well as long as I loaded the mag carefully.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Glad it worked.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".