Affordable survival items

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Strayz

Re: Affordable survival items

Post by Strayz »

Get them when they are cheep and stack them deep.

Do not forget to get 10 magazines per firearm, and 10 boxes of ammo for each firearm. There may be a time when neither are available to purchase.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:59 pm Get them when they are cheep and stack them deep.

Do not forget to get 10 magazines per firearm, and 10 boxes of ammo for each firearm. There may be a time when neither are available to purchase.
Now is the time for both. Parts, like springs and such, are generally inexpensive as well.
Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:55 am Whenever I get real defensively minded, I think a handful of SD9VEs stashed around the house makes a of of sense. Or an ammo can full to hand out if family members need something during an emergency.
Look at the plethora of pistols right now in the +/- $200 range. Even occasionally on sale for the around the $150 mark. Taurus G2c/s, Ruger EC9/LC9s, S&W Shields and SD9VE and a few others. All are solid pistols, all have a good track record. Toss in all the police trade-ins, particularly in 40 S&W and the market is glut with good deals right now. Prime time.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

For the under 300 bucks for a firearm, I never list the single stack micro pistols. I also don't recommend may of the cheep firearms. It follows along with the, If I only had 200 to buy a firearm would "I" carry it. I also do a buy a cheep one every year or three and see what is out there. It is a guilty pleasure of mine. I end up selling them off a few years down the road to pay for more!

For $250 you can get a Walther Creed, or Canik. Both IMO are better than the price point would indicate.

SD9VE, while I know it is a copy of the Glock, I just do not have the faith behind it. I know it is a me thing but I recommend several others out there long before I get around to mentioning it.

Used firearms are also a Good way to save when buying. It does require to know what you are looking at. Not everyone can look and tell if that is cosmetic damage or real damage that can or can not be repaired.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm For the under 300 bucks for a firearm, I never list the single stack micro pistols.
I never use to give a second thought to single-stack pistols either. And they don't take the place of a good double-stack for a lot of roles like HD. However, and this is maybe a funny story, a few years ago I went for a walk around the neighborhood. I don't remember what pistol I was carrying, it might have been the old LC9 I use to have. That would have given me 8 total rounds of 9mm. Now to be sure, that just doesn't give the same level of comfort as say my Glock 19X with a total of 20 rounds on tap. But for some reason my mind drifted back to when I was a rookie. Back when I started out I carried a S&W 64 .38 Special with of course 6-rounds and although I was trained with speed loaders...none were issued. I didn't carry them until years later when I figured I better purchase my own to carry. So as I was walking around the block with my single-stack 9mm it suddenly struck me that I was better armed right then (better round and almost a 50% increase in capacity) walking around the block than I was 'on the job' facing bad guys. It gave me a new perspective on the single-stack 9mm.

And in truth, before I started carrying the P365 with a 12-round mag, I was carrying either the G26 (with a 15-round G19 mag and Xgrip) or a Ruger LC9s with a 7 round mag. And I felt okay with the Ruger. Don't get me wrong, I don't turn down capacity when I can have it. But it was a give-and-take in that the LC9s was way more comfortable hour after hour after hour of carrying.
I also don't recommend may of the cheep firearms.
I think there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive these days. We still have cheap firearms (Jennings for example) but now we have a plethora of inexpensive pistols like Taurus, S&W, Ruger, Walther etc. that, although are very inexpensive (some of the product line) have earned a solid reputation for performance, durability and reliability. I know many folks poo-poo Taurus for one reason or another, but lines like the G2 have proven themselves and are now into pretty impressive round counts. Shields and LC9s' can be picked up for a song and I've grown to like those pistols.
For $250 you can get a Walther Creed, or Canik. Both IMO are better than the price point would indicate.
I absolutely agree! The Canik for example seems to be a pretty good platform. I've never owned or shot one, but I've a couple of Deputies on my squad that are also big gunnies that speak very highly of them.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz

Post by Strayz »

David wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:35 am
I absolutely agree! The Canik for example seems to be a pretty good platform. I've never owned or shot one, but I've a couple of Deputies on my squad that are also big gunnies that speak very highly of them.
I forgot to mention the Canik is a Clone of the Walther P99 Platform with a few changes. Old school users still love the P99 platform and are hard to convince that the PPQ line is better?
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

The shoes I am wearing are from Shopgoodwill.com. Three leather jackets from the same source. A couple of watches too. Years ago, purchased police recovered bicycles. Purchased a lot of used pocket knives from e
Bay over the years. Usually 1/3 the price of new knife. Whether new or not, I would end up spending the same time cleaning/sharpening.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Strayz wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:59 pm Get them when they are cheep and stack them deep.

it's been about a year and your words came true.... :o
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Those things are all available online right now. Besides - Trump is going to win, says Dave.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:54 am

it's been about a year and your words came true.... :o
I hate when I am right about those kind of things.

On the positive side I ordered a red dot site that was on sale for a hell of a good price.. The Sig Romeo. Yeah don't buy it. Only fits its own mounting system(I did nto know this at the time). Fortunately I found out that Ruger has a mounting plate for the "57". So my 57 is now becoming a space gun with things that I wanted to try but were a near miss for what ever reasons. Has a baldr Mini light, a red dot site, and a green laser. Because I bought earlier in the year, More than a few boxes of ammo. (I saw boxes of it on gun broker for insane prices like around 1.50 to 2 bucks a round, I may sell half my ammo for gold/silver and put my kid through college in 10 years.) The Pistol is still a riot to shoot though.