Books on knife fighting

This section is for discussion on martial arts, defensive tactics, hand-2-hand combatives and the weapons involved in these systems.
Rifleman 84

Books on knife fighting

Post by Rifleman 84 »

I am by no means a knife fighter. But I feel like having some of these skills under my belt certainly wouldn’t hurt. Does anyone know any good books that discuss how to go about doing it effectively? I’m open to all forms of practical knife technique, from HEMA to The Asian martial arts. I think they all have something we could learn from. Anyone have any?
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Books on knife fighting

Post by Ronin.45 »

Much like shooting, there isn't much you can learn from a book. If you can't actually attend training classes, I'd at least try videos. Whether on YouTube or dvd, they can actually show techniques instead of just abstract descriptions in a book. Also like shooting, there isn't a secret sauce to it. The basics are unbelievably simple, stab with the pointy part and slice with the sharp part. A real knife fight is not like the movies where you are blocking and parrying for a while. Just like real gunfights don't require tactical somersaults and multiple reloads.
Michael Janich used to have some crazy simple knife fighting videos. Give him a Google.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Rifleman 84 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:49 pm I am by no means a knife fighter. But I feel like having some of these skills under my belt certainly wouldn’t hurt. Does anyone know any good books that discuss how to go about doing it effectively? I’m open to all forms of practical knife technique, from HEMA to The Asian martial arts. I think they all have something we could learn from. Anyone have any?
MCMAP Knife Fighting

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Corps-Mar ... 1475262256

https://hiconsumption.com/best-knife-fighting-styles/
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I am answering Rifleman 84's original question about a good book.

My comments are based upon having actual training in H2H combat with folders, Khukri knife, entrenching tool, escrima sticks.

1. You do not need a book or a instructor to master drawing a folder from pocket carry on a clip to placing a blade against the base of someone's throat. Just start practicing and within a hour or so, you will have your time to nearly 1 second.
2. The movements used in applying an entrenching tool, a folder, a fixed blade knife, an escrima stick, a hatchet or a hammer are dictated by human ergonomics. they are the same. So what you do is take a basic escrima class. Then you practice the 8 or 9 movements with each arm.
3. Practicing H2H combat with a dummy knife against another person with a dummy knife is the most difficult exercise that I have ever experienced. You need to be able to move forward, side to side, and back while delivering or countering a blow. I can no longer move like that.
4. Remember - you do not have to be the best, just better than your opponent. Situational awareness counts for a lot.
5. I will disabuse you of what you will read about knife hand forward or free hand forward in knife fighting. If you get cut, you are in trouble. If the situation permits, wrap both forearms with whatever is available. I don't do escrima anymore because I can no longer take the blows -so just focus on learning basic movements and probably skip practicing against an opponent similarly armed.