357sig vs 357 magnum

A section to discuss firearms ballistics (as well as air rifles and other types of projectiles).
David
Administrator

Re: 357sig vs 357 magnum

Post by David »

A 357sig can't be loaded as powerful or as heavy as a 357 magnum. No debate on this. On the flip side the 357sig has some factors in it's favor. First, generally speaking it's going to be a faster shooting platform. A slide soaks up more recoil and some pistols have specific recoil reduction systems like HK to make a 357sig platform fairly tame to shoot. So it's just physics that if you're good with a 357 magnum revolver you're likely to be even better with a 35sig semi-auto in terms of getting off shots. This may well translate into more accurate shots/follow up shots. And of course with a 357 magnum your looking at 5-8 shots depending on the type of revolver as opposed to maybe 12-16 rounds of 357sig, again depending on the platform.

So whereas the 357 magnum may use heavier bullets that have more 'power', does that offset a 357sig that can still have the power to penetrate deeply that is more controllable and has more ammunition on tap? Tossing that out for thought.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
JDH

Post by JDH »

tom mac wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:25 am Not to my knowledge... tho possible.
Isn't that a 45acp case necked down ? maybe for the G21.
45 necked down to 40 is the 400 Corbon which has all but died off. Barrels are a special order item now. Nobody stocks them anymore it seems.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

JDH wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:27 pm
45 necked down to 40 is the 400 Corbon which has all but died off. Barrels are a special order item now. Nobody stocks them anymore it seems.
And of course ammo is hard to get as well.

400 Corbon was developed about 15 years after 10mm. I'm guessing since a 10mm pistol could have better capacity than the 400 Corbon, while ballistics were still in the same neigborhood there really wasn't a lot of need for the 400 Corbon? It just never really caught on.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:55 pm A 357sig can't be loaded as powerful or as heavy as a 357 magnum. No debate on this. On the flip side the 357sig has some factors in it's favor. First, generally speaking it's going to be a faster shooting platform. A slide soaks up more recoil and some pistols have specific recoil reduction systems like HK to make a 357sig platform fairly tame to shoot. So it's just physics that if you're good with a 357 magnum revolver you're likely to be even better with a 35sig semi-auto in terms of getting off shots. This may well translate into more accurate shots/follow up shots. And of course with a 357 magnum your looking at 5-8 shots depending on the type of revolver as opposed to maybe 12-16 rounds of 357sig, again depending on the platform.

So whereas the 357 magnum may use heavier bullets that have more 'power', does that offset a 357sig that can still have the power to penetrate deeply that is more controllable and has more ammunition on tap? Tossing that out for thought.
I'm thinking that for my area at least, my Sig P250 with 40S&W (or 357sig if I find a good deal on a barrel) would do fine. Basically it's a 14-shot revolver with a smooth 6-8lbs trigger. As I mentioned above, no the 357sig can't quite get to the level of the 357 magnum in terms of bullet weight and velocity but I think, at least for my area, it is more than sufficient with either caliber.

JDH

Post by JDH »

David wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 am
JDH wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:27 pm
And of course ammo is hard to get as well.

400 Corbon was developed about 15 years after 10mm. I'm guessing since a 10mm pistol could have better capacity than the 400 Corbon, while ballistics were still in the same neigborhood there really wasn't a lot of need for the 400 Corbon? It just never really caught on.

The 10 and 400 were almost identical in performance. The biggest advantage the 400 had was it was a simple barrel swap. You kept the same slide, magazines, and recoil spring. It made it easy to have 10mm performance from your 45 with no permanent changes to the pistol.