Why prepping is no longer popular?

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
aerynsun

Re: Why prepping is no longer popular?

Post by aerynsun »

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Once I waded through the new jargon, I remembered two examples, both not studied in depth and denied by their respective governments.
1. After the Greek Civil War, Communists were exiled to one of the Greek islands and cut off from leaving. Somehow, they managed to organized on a subsistence level. Their longevity, health, general educational level was greater than that of the rest of Greece - and I am not addressing college type level. In Spain, there exists an anarchist community which the central government has never penetrated and which has isolated itself. Same thing. Agricultural, self reliant and self sufficient. Healthy.
2. When Americans discuss prepping, it is usually on an individual or nuclear family basis. Do you really think that works? After a week? After a month? After 3 months?
3. My family on my mother's side banded together to survive the depression. They did that to survive. Conversely, I have three nieces/nephews living within 10 minutes of each other and they don't even socialize! They DO NOT have to do that to survive. I am old school. I remember and keep in contact with nieces/nephews and their children.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Bob wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:42 pm
#3 You create a blockchain based UBI that provides for a basic apartment, utilities and food. Call it a minimum of $30k per year. Enough for Food/Shelter/health, and some entertainment

You think that wouldn't work?
There is an economic fallacy in that idea, that I think you can see. If you don't let me know and I'll point it out to you.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

My personal opinion is that most Mutual assistance groups are working now harder than before about shoring up the areas they know they are needing work. They are just not advertising it everywhere.

I have seen a few people working on communications and also looking at the Baltics VS what we just did a year of dry running to see what is needed and what may have been missed. Long term storage and water storage/filtration are also big on some peoples lists.

I see people upset about ammo. While it is not good. Most here on our forum seem to have things covered fairly well.

First aid is one that I keep telling people get out to as much training for this as you can.

Hard cover books on subjects you may have a basic knowledge of is good, and the time life home repairs is a must IMO. along with how to fix your cars.(Chiltons or Hayes) This year my physical Library has grown by a full bookshelf.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Strayz wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:28 pm My personal opinion is that most Mutual assistance groups are working now harder than before about shoring up the areas they know they are needing work.
How would you describe the physical health of the members? In shape or overweight?

As I age it is more and more difficult to stay in shape. If I get in shape, I get out of shape easier then in the past.

I've never liked running so I fast walk.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Age prob has alot more to do with it , at least here.... ( and for people I know )

Like myself, pretty good shape but not excellent.... good enough to do a good hike with pack.

What slowed me down was getting knee replaced. Now back to almost where I was before, didn't gain weight but knee still lagging behind being 6 months out.
Health to me is important , as in top 3, as if not that, you can't do much else.
You can't fix stupid !
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

aerynsun wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:02 pm
Bob wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:42 pm
#3 You create a blockchain based UBI that provides for a basic apartment, utilities and food. Call it a minimum of $30k per year. Enough for Food/Shelter/health, and some entertainment

You think that wouldn't work?
There is an economic fallacy in that idea, that I think you can see. If you don't let me know and I'll point it out to you.
Not here to get into a debate about the particulars. The point is, you COULD devise a system that works.

*If your poin is inflation always going up to the minimum UBI....yes, but unlike our current dollar - you can control the amount and the value. You create a consumer index and that is how much you get each year. You can keep up and on track with inflation of basic commodities infinitely, unlike our dollar.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

aerynsun wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:00 pm
Strayz wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:28 pm My personal opinion is that most Mutual assistance groups are working now harder than before about shoring up the areas they know they are needing work.
How would you describe the physical health of the members? In shape or overweight?

As I age it is more and more difficult to stay in shape. If I get in shape, I get out of shape easier then in the past.

I've never liked running so I fast walk.
Health? Middle aged most of us could use to get in better shape. The younger ones are in better shape than most. I am starting to realize that while my mind is willing my body tells me hey that pinched nerve in your back and when you avoided getting knee surgery? Getting to be over 50 sucks and is not for wimps...

I do a lot more walking and recommend everyone at least try to.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.