Light failed, not sure why?

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
David
Administrator

Light failed, not sure why?

Post by David »

So we had a family get together yesterday. After we left my wife and I drove out to our property to see the progress they've been making. It was around 11ish so well after dark. I had charged up the SRT3 and my other vehicle lights so I was good-to-go as far as that went. I used my Fenix E05 which is the light I keep on my car key chain. It's a nice AAA light. It worked fine for a few minutes then shut off. I tried several times to turn it back on but no joy. So I figured it was another case of a dead battery (Eneloop AAA). So I switched over to my TiS AAAl light that is on my 'survival' key chain and it worked fine.

On the way home I noticed the Fenix started working again on it's own. I had left it twisted in the on position. But then it shut off. When I got home I was able to operate it normally. So apparently the battery wasn't low and shouldn't have been as it's an Eneloop battery and it hasn't been that long since I charged it up. So not sure what is up with the Fenix? It was in the 50's last night, maybe the cold?

I'm charging up my AAA batteries right now just to know that isn't part of the issue.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Light failed, not sure why?

Post by tom mac »

sounds like a bad contact in switch or tube to end cap
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:05 am sounds like a bad contact in switch or tube to end cap
I've had it for years and it does get bounced around quite a bit. May be time to think about a replacement.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well I used the Fenix E05 last night pretty extensively while moving boxes from my car over to my nieces truck. It worked just fine. I had charged the battery up last week after the initial failure and noticed that it took a lot longer to charge that battery than the same AAA's I was charging along with it. So maybe it was the battery being too weak to reliable power the light rather than the light itself? Something to keep an eye on.