How did you survive the great winter storm of 2021?

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: How did you survive the great winter storm of 2021?

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:00 pm Do you think that some in Texas will change their ways and become prepared? Even if 1% of the 4 million that was out of power starts preparing, that would be 40,000 more people in a better position for the next disaster.
I hope so. I have a bit of family that live in Texas so I'd love to see them all better prepared.
Mac66 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:41 am Still debating getting a whole house generator for the new house.
Same here. For us in Florida it's the summer that is a concern. Storms are more active in the summer and fall and with temps often getting up into the low triple digits with high humidity it makes for a miserable experience. Especially at night if you're trying to sleep. It obviously wouldn't be used that often, hopefully, but if/when it is it will pay for itself in terms of food not going bad and simply living comfortably through the outage.

I'll need to check into it more in-depth as the time approaches. Our new home will have electric and natural gas. I'll need to verify that if the power goes out the natural gas going to the generator continues to flow, or if I need to get a tank as a back up.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

At least in our area, the Natural gas continues to flow when the power is out.

Now, if you have an earthquake, natural gas may be shut off. When we were doing one of our disaster table top drills I was surprised to find out that the power company's plan in case of a large earthquake was to shut down natural gas service to reduce the chance of fires/explosions and then work on bringing it back up in grids. So, if your generator relies on NG and you are in an earthquake zone, you may not have the fuel source you were planning on.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

In all the power outages we've had in the last 20 years, the gas has never gone out. I would feel comfortable with a natural gas genny.

On the other hand we've never needed more than a portable genny at our regular house.

The new house uses propane so a propane genny is what we are looking for. In that we intend to spend the winters in the south hooking up a whole house generator that will come on automatically makes some sense. On the other hand a solar battery system would keep the furnace running as long as the batteries held out. That would be good for short term outages. Decisions, decisions.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

I must have missed this thread, Or missed the winter storm...

I am looking at buying a 14kw genset myself that is going to run off of NG/LP. I am surprised at how affordable they are.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Strayz wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:37 pm I must have missed this thread, Or missed the winter storm...

I am looking at buying a 14kw genset myself that is going to run off of NG/LP. I am surprised at how affordable they are.
Where are they affordable. The ones I've looked at are danged expensive.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:27 pm
Strayz wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:37 pm I must have missed this thread, Or missed the winter storm...

Give your local area a bit of time to calm down after the storm and I am willing to bet the prices will be back to normal in around 6 months.

Affordable is one of those things you have to weigh out. Do you want to be in the dark or do you want power on when everyone else is in the dark? I could make a case for a large solar array being affordable as well. So I will say I have quotes for 8K to 15K depending on options and how far I am from the NG gas lines, and what options I want. Now I do live in Alaska so you should with a bit of shopping and research find better prices. The 8K number is also not buying a LP tank and doing all the digging and pouring the Concrete slab myself. Talk with your local people. See what they say. Also you don't need a 14KW genset, you might be able to make it with a 8K depending on what you are asking it to do. Myself I am going to be paying for it for a few years and I need it to do a lot if we loose power and need to swap over.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Strayz wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:56 pm

Give your local area a bit of time to calm down after the storm and I am willing to bet the prices will be back to normal in around 6 months.

Affordable is one of those things you have to weigh out. Do you want to be in the dark or do you want power on when everyone else is in the dark? I could make a case for a large solar array being affordable as well. So I will say I have quotes for 8K to 15K depending on options and how far I am from the NG gas lines, and what options I want. Now I do live in Alaska so you should with a bit of shopping and research find better prices. The 8K number is also not buying a LP tank and doing all the digging and pouring the Concrete slab myself. Talk with your local people. See what they say. Also you don't need a 14KW genset, you might be able to make it with a 8K depending on what you are asking it to do. Myself I am going to be paying for it for a few years and I need it to do a lot if we loose power and need to swap over.
I have Generac coming out to the new house the end of April to give me a quote. I already have a 500 gal LP tank installed.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:44 am

I have Generac coming out to the new house the end of April to give me a quote. I already have a 500 gal LP tank installed.
How big are you looking at getting? I had one guy tell me I needed more than 16k generator, I think that is living very high on the hog but I will get a second and third opinion on sizing. Might want to double up on the tanks if you can. Bigger Gens equal more fuel needed.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Strayz wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:06 pm
Mac66 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:44 am

How big are you looking at getting? I had one guy tell me I needed more than 16k generator, I think that is living very high on the hog but I will get a second and third opinion on sizing. Might want to double up on the tanks if you can. Bigger Gens equal more fuel needed.
The new house is only 1400 sq feet w/garage and a future pole barn. I think I could get by on a 7-8K KW. I don't really need to run everything all the time in a power outage.