A multi-vitamin can kill you/importance of emergency first aid

All things first aid related.
David
Administrator

A multi-vitamin can kill you/importance of emergency first aid

Post by David »

I have a normal morning ritual which includes taken several supplements. One of them is a multivitamin. It's not a particularly large pill, but it isn't coated. This morning it got stuck in my throat. Felt like it was sideways. At first I hurt but I could somewhat breath. I started to dry heave uncontrollably, my bodies way of trying to dislodge the obstruction. I walked to the bathroom and really started heaving over the toilet but I felt it lodge and I was only able to make very small gasps for air. My son's room is right across the hall from the bathroom so I managed to walk to his door. He was on his computer and as I opened the door he could see the look on my face as I motioned to my throat. He could hear me gasping but unable to get a breath. I was at the point I couldn't breath. He immediately jumped up and gave me the Heimlich maneuver. It took about 8-10 thrusts and then the multivitamin popped out. My son saved my life!

He was suppose to be at his college class today but had a cold over the weekend and decided to stay home. He would have been at class when this occurred. The Lord knew I was going to need him today! I was very grateful of course but also very proud of him. He didn't panic and immediately jumped into the mode of doing something positive.

My throat is a bit sore/raw feeling but it will heal. Thank you Lord and thank you son :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Re: A multi-vitamin can kill you/importance of emergency first aid

Post by bdcochran »

Good for you. Good that your son was taught.

My uses: Heimlich - upscale restaurant in North Hollywood, cA

CPR uses: Beijing Airport. Only three people knew what to do. LA County fireman, his girl friend and myself. 7 minutes - and we brought him back, most certainly with brain damage. No ambulance, no EMT - this is the PRC. Wife: -put him on the plane. Me- tell her. Fireman - we can do it here, we can't do it at 35,000 feet! I felt that the Fireman should get acknowledged so I got him a citation from the County when we got back to the US.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

great that your able to write the post !!
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 am great that your able to write the post !!
I definitely feel it was a 'God thing' and the Lord was watching over me. It hurt a lot. And when it lodged I just couldn't get any air at all. Fortunately my son's room was right there across the hallway. As soon as I opened the door we made eye contact as he was sitting at his computer. He immediately knew I was in distress and responded without hesitation. Very thankful!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Going to have switch Dave over to liquid medication so he doesn't die on us.
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

Flintstone Gummies might be better for him. Remember how your mom hid yours in a candy!!!!!!! LOL :idea:
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We had the chewable, the gummies weren't out in the 70s. Guess that means I'm getting old.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I crush the non-coated tablets now and put them in water.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

You know, you can heimlich your self with a chair....