Sold my Trail 90s

The section for discussion on all things involving transportation; vehicles, boats, planes and more.
Mac66
Board Founder

Sold my Trail 90s

Post by Mac66 »

I just sold my two Honda Trail 90s I've had for 25 years. One was a '69 the other a '75. Kind of a bittersweet moment. They were a lot of fun to ride but were somewhat finicky to keep running. Stashed them away about 10 years ago and dragged them out recently to try and get running. I finally just said the heck with it and sold them as is.

I was surprised how much they were worth. I doubled my money in unrunning condition. They are worth about double running than non running so the people (a couple) who bought them both paid a lot of money for them but they will be worth double when they get them running.

Happy and sad to see them go. Time to move on to something more modern like off road minibikes. I can now buy 5 mini bikes with what I got for the Hondas.

My bikes in their glory days...

tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Sold my Trail 90s

Post by tom mac »

they are nice bikes ( for the day ) if running... look in good shape. Wish I had my old Honda Minitrail .
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:39 am they are nice bikes ( for the day ) if running... look in good shape. Wish I had my old Honda Minitrail .
They are an iconic design. Honda just brought out a Trail 125 which is very much like the Trail 90/110 but it's $4K and impossible to find. It doesn't have the sub transmission (which switches to ultra low gears). But it does have disk ABS brakes, electronic ignition, electric starter and is 12 V.

And the prices on the old ones have skyrocketed. The engines on these things are bullet proof and they are very nostalgic.

Running ones go from $2-3K or more. Especially on the west coast. Ones that are complete but non running (like mine) are running $1-1.5K if they have a title. Both mine had titles. I got $1100/ea for mine. Of course junkers are less than that. I had a complete parts bike, non running, no title that I paid $150 for about 15 years ago. I sold is this week as well for $800.

The CT70/ Mini trails are commanding even more. Junkers are running $2K.

Like I said, I'm happy and sad to get rid of them. I pulled them out of the shed and started cleaning them up. Tried to get them running but I don't have the patience anymore to work on them. Better to let someone else try. The couple who bought them is in their 40s and was looking for a project to work on together. The husband's dad had one back in the day. I'm glad to see someone else who would rebuild and cherish them get them instead of someone just buy them to flip.
Last edited by Mac66 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

It feels like that to me also, like giving away your dog or something... My motorcycle count is now 80 something and I still talk about each one like they where each my best ones.

I think those new ones are fuel injected, but they look cool.
... Just a Dude...
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Dragged my old Honda Spree (moped/scooter) out of the shed and put it up for sale on facebook marketplace. It sold it 2 hours, with people bidding up the asking price. Should have asked more. LOL

Bought it about 25 years ago. My daughter rode it for awhile but was kind of afraid of it. Been sitting since 2008.

That's all the MCs I have until I get the mini bikes.

Actually I just remembered I still have a Honda XL175 that I bought at a yard sale about 20 years ago for $150. I got it running and rode it off and on but it's been sitting for about 10 years as well. I let my son have it this summer to see if he could get it running but he's been busy working. I should get it back from him and try to get it running and/or sell it.

I'm pretty much done with MCs. I'm getting older and low and slow is about my speed these days.

It just occurred to me that after selling my 90s and Spree I could just about buy a new CT125...hmmm...going to have to think about that. Definitely could buy one if I sold the 175.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

If we lived closer I would buy that XL 175...
... Just a Dude...
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I sold my three wheelers and my motorcycle when the daughter was born. I miss them, but wouldn't trade the daughter for any of them.

As you pointed out, now that I have crossed the half century mark, my speed is slower. Been contemplating a UTV, just have other items on the list that are higher up on the desire list.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I found a guy around Cleveland selling a used CT125.That's about a 3 hour drive for me though he is willing to meet in Toledo (1.5 hrs). His was one of the first delivered to the US last fall. He's done some tweaks to it but needs to sell it for some reason. Unfortunately the demand for them is so great he could sell it used for more than a new one costs.

Plan A is still the mini bikes. Plan B is a new CT125.

Went with Plan A. See the off road mini bike forum.