Amount of on-hand fuel

The section for discussion on all things involving transportation; vehicles, boats, planes and more.
David
Administrator

Amount of on-hand fuel

Post by David »

For a long while now I've treated a half tank of gas as the 'new empty'. Lately though I've been trying to refill around the 3/4 mark. Being retired makes that a bit easier of course and I seem to only hit the gas station once every 7-10 days give or take.

I have about 20 gallons or so worth of gas containers but at the moment their empty.

Non-transportation related but as far as propane tanks for the grill I have several available.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Amount of on-hand fuel

Post by tom mac »

I usu have 30 to 35 gallons put away ( in proper containers with sta-bil )... I start to rotate in Spring so all stays new. ( less than a year old )
Esp in the winter as I would need it to keep the gennie running to warm home, a bit less after Spring when warmer.

BTW, in case many don't know ... Sta-bile has an expiration date of about a 2 yrs after opened, so I buy smaller bottles so not to waste any.

As for propane, 2-100gallon tanks which are for the inside fireplace, going to tap those for other needs... maybe future bi-fuel generator and BBQ
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Gasoline...I think I have about 8 5 gallon gas cans in the shed and a couple more up at the new house. Some of only partially full as I've been using gas in my snow blowers or transferring it to 2 gallon cans for easier use.

Propane... I also have 8 or 10 15lb propane tanks. About half are at my house, the other half up at the old cabin. I also have two on my travel trailer. Looking around I see a couple empty ones next to the house I should probably go get filled. Of course I have a 500 gallon propane tank at the new house. I also have about a dozen 1lb propane tanks I refill from the 15# ones.

Kerosene...Finally, I have 3 5 gallon cans of kerosene for my kero heaters. One of those cans is only partially full since I filled up my heaters a month or so ago. I should probably go top it off.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

15 2 gallon cans of non ethanol fuel with Stabil in a cool dry place and 10 of the gas grill propane tanks also in a cool dry place. A bunch of those green one pounders also and the kit to refill them from the bigger tanks. 55 gallons of diesel fuel.
Because I buy the non ethanol gas and store it in sealed containers- in a cool place, I don't have to change it out but every 3 years.
... Just a Dude...