A forgotten place for food.

Recipes, freeze-dried, deydrated and all food related threads.
aerynsun

A forgotten place for food.

Post by aerynsun »

At some point there will be run on Walmart and other food stores.

Amazon and other similar stores will have food and most people will not think of them as a place to get food.

Also, don't think about the normal stuff. They have snack foods and healthy foods like almonds.
David
Administrator

Re: A forgotten place for food.

Post by David »

aerynsun wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:04 pm At some point there will be run on Walmart and other food stores.

Amazon and other similar stores will have food and most people will not think of them as a place to get food.

Also, don't think about the normal stuff. They have snack foods and healthy foods like almonds.
For us, Middle Eastern food stores will be a resource due to my wife's heritage. And I love M.E. food! And the M.E. diet is extremely healthy.

Good advice on almonds and such. Filling and good for the heart.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

aerynsun wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:04 pm They have snack foods and healthy foods like almonds.
Lately when I'm out of the house doing shopping or errands I take a small ziploc with almonds, walnuts, cashews and pecans. I might toss in some raisins or dried cranberries as well. Makes a great snack that is nutritious.

Costco and Aldi is a great source for plastic containers will all these types of nuts. Shelf life is pretty decent as well. I just checked my cashew container and it's got a best used by date of November 2021.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I *might* have found a little food scoop! Stay tuned....
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Just picked up 2 - 2 week August Farms buckets at...guess where?

Home Depot! Decent prices, delivered to home.
mdell49

Post by mdell49 »

The Mormon church food stores, may not be forgotten, but I didn't see mention of it here. Bulk foods, rice beans. cocoa and much more. pretty reasonable prices too. And no, you do not need to be a member to purchase food.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

mdell49 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:03 pm The Mormon church food stores, may not be forgotten, but I didn't see mention of it here. Bulk foods, rice beans. cocoa and much more. pretty reasonable prices too. And no, you do not need to be a member to purchase food.
Good point. That community is very much into prepping.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Well, I think the Amazon theory was destroyed during Covid. People do indeed know that they have food!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

In our area Big Lots has a lot of food available. Some of it is even gluten free for those on that diet.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Yes, there are a couple of Big Lots in my area. Sometimes the prices are good. Sometimes it is difficult to know because the staff may be lax in putting price labels on the rotating stock.

I will give another forgotten place. Smart and Final. This is the original and large institutional food distributor before Walmart and Costco came into existence. Only in the last several years has this company attempted to market to the individual or the family. The prices are slightly lower than in the standard grocery store, unless you are buying in bulk. This is where I was buying 70% isopropyl alcohol for less than $20 a gallon, including tax.