Guns-n-ammo buying craze

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Guns-n-ammo buying craze

Post by David »

Lurking around AL this morning. Folks are still asking for double what their Glock is worth. Lots of rifles for sale. And of course the gougers are still thing their ammo is made from gold cases. It'll be nice when it all gets back to normal.
:roll:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I know a guy who had a table at a local gun show yesterday. He sold a home built AR for $800. The AR market doesn't seem to have spiked as high as everything else during this panic. Maybe we've finally reached market saturation on them.
He did get $1/rd for 5.56 green tips and $1.50/rd for cheap 9mm HPs.
I can't believe anyone would pay those prices.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:06 pm I know a guy who had a table at a local gun show yesterday. He sold a home built AR for $800. The AR market doesn't seem to have spiked as high as everything else during this panic. Maybe we've finally reached market saturation on them.
I was thinking the same thing. I peruse AL every day for fun and there are a lot of AR's on there but really, with the occasional exception, the prices just aren't at the 2016 panic pricing level. At least not in my area. It's Glock that is ridiculous! Everyone has suddenly decided that their worth twice the normal retail. Sorry, as much as I like Glock, I firmly think they're over-priced at their normal pricing. To be fair, other brands are absurdly priced as well. At least $100 more than normal.
Ronin.45 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:06 pm and $1.50/rd for cheap 9mm HPs.
I can't believe anyone would pay those prices.
Yeah, 9mm keeps going up. I don't know if many are actually buying but I'm not. I guess the new owners that are getting more and more panicked maybe?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I'm not sure who's buying at those prices either. Even with the current situation, I'd be tempted to sell a few cases at $1000+.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Talking with someone over on GT, they paid 2K for a G43 and Sig P320 combo and $1700 for a P365 :shock:

I am glad I don't like in California! :!:

As far as AL in my area, I'm seeing a lot of the same pistols day after day at the panic pricing. Maybe it's starting to slow a bit and the market is getting saturated? That's the used market though. The new market is probably still going full steam ahead.

cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

I reloaded 5k rounds of 9mm about 2 months ago so I have enough practice ammo for a while.
Next I'm going to reload 5k of 45 ACP then 38special/357mag. I don't think there will be any ammo to be had at reasonable price for a while.
Last week I had a guy who wanted to by a box of Remington 22lr bulk ammo (500 rounds) from me for $50...crazy!!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well, AL still has most pistols for double what they're worth...or more :shock:

$800 stock Glocks. Same with Sigs. The Taurus G3 is $350+ despite the fact you can buy it locally at the gun shop for $259. And ammo is getting to be a buck a round or more depending on the caliber.

A lot of this stuff must not be selling well though anymore. I click on some of the ads and folks are getting rude in their ads. They must be getting a lot of flack.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I gentleman I worked with just bought a Glock, had to wait for six weeks for the G19 Gen to come in. The dealer he bought it from had five offers from people to buy the gun when they seen it behind the counter and they were willing to pay more than he did. As he was completing the deal, another guy came in and offered him to pay $150 more than he paid for it. He declined the offer and now he is on the search for ammo, the dealer he bought from has nothing but empty shelves when it comes to ammo.

I mentioned to him to go to the Winchester range, they usually have ammo. Downside, unless you are an employee or former employee, you can't buy any to take home, but you can buy ammo to shot at the range.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

My local LGS still has a decent selection of handguns. The .45 case has been the most hard hit, or so it seems, where as the stock in the .40 and 9mm cases seems to be about half of what they normally had. And they seem to have more revolvers now than before. Don't know why but the revolver case was well stocked. I could have walked out with a Glock 19 or 23, a Beretta PX4 or 92, or a Sig M17. All at normal price points for this area and this store. But around here it has been less a run on guns than on ammo. They are selling ammo at one box per type per customer. The 9mm shelf is almost bare. There is no .223/5.56. As for .45, .40, .357mag, and .38 stock is thin but there is a reasonable selection to be had. I picked up a box of Winchester 9mm fmj ($21-- pricey in contrast to before the madness) and a box of self defense ammo (Sig brand, price was normal as in no different than what I would have paid back in January.) Next time I'll pick up some .40 and some .357.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Have I seen rumors of ammo getting back in stock?