Know where your stuff is at

All things first aid related.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Know where your stuff is at

Post by Bmyers »

We had kept a large stock of first aid supplies in one spot in the basement for the last couple of years.

My dad was outside with the nephew and sliced his finger with a hedge trimmer. So, the nephew brought him to my house.

Got the bleeding controlled, was cleaning it, and went to get my first aid supplies.

THEY WERE GONE! Could not find them any where.

So, I had to improvise, got steri-strips and supplies from my range bag, got everything pulled together on the finger after it was cleaned up nicely. Used some bandages to wrap it. Sent him home with instructions to go to his doctor tomorrow and get a tetanus shot and his doctor can check it tomorrow to make sure it is looking okay.

Well, when the wife got home we had a conversation. She had been cleaning last week and moved all the first aid supplies. I explained in a unhappy tone that a person doesn't need to be running around the house looking for first aid supplies. You need to know right where your firearms are at, where the fire extinguishers are located, and where the first aid supplies are located.

The first aid supplies have all been relocated to a spot that we all know where they are at.
David
Administrator

Re: Know where your stuff is at

Post by David »

Absolutely good advice.

Not as serious as what you went through but my wife sliced open her thumb this afternoon while we were out. Luckily I had my EDC sling bag with the IFAK. Got the bleeding under control, iodine pad to disinfect and a bandage and we were up and running. It would have sucked though if I didn't have that bag handy. So absolutely yes, an emergency is definitely not the time to be searching around for your supplies. Glad it worked out okay and was a teachable moment.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Re: Know where your stuff is at

Post by bdcochran »

I have the proverbial ton of first aid items.
1. two shelves in the hall linen closet are dedicated. Goes up to blood stop items and tourniquets.
2. a drawer in the refrigerator.
3. a small refrigerator in the garage.
4. the large supplies of items that will not be destroyed by heat are in the attic.