Roll your own

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Horskinator

Roll your own

Post by Horskinator »

Who else here rolls their own bullets?

I run a Hornady LNL AP that I am finally getting a case feeder for. I also run an RCBS Rockchucker that I recently converted to take the LNL die bushings.

Sadly the die busing conversion was brittle and it broke when getting the 338WM sizing die setup.

I definitely enjoy reloading during times like the present but my shooting is down since my primer situation is a little light for small pistol and small rifle. Knew I should have bought more when times were good and with the election coming up.
cityfarmer

Re: Roll your own

Post by cityfarmer »

Yup, been reloading since back in the 80's.
Currently have 3 Dillion progressive press set up on the reloading bench to load 9mm, 38 Special and 45 ACP along with 2 single stage (RCBS and Lyman) to load 45-70 and 45 Colt. I have a Dillon SDB set up for 44 magnum under the bench that I'll mount on the bench one day. I load 250-300 rounds of 308 Winchester precision ammo every 2 years and 250-300 rounds of .223 precision ammo every 2 or 3 years using single stage press. I'll load 300 Blk and 308 Winchester subsonic occasionally for friends. Also load .308 and .243 low recoil rounds for my son and some friends.
Used to load a lot more calibers years ago but have been cutting back due to lack of time and low cost of ammo.
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

cityfarmer wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:06 pm Yup, been reloading since back in the 80's.
Currently have 3 Dillion progressive press set up on the reloading bench to load 9mm, 38 Special and 45 ACP along with 2 single stage (RCBS and Lyman) to load 45-70 and 45 Colt. I have a Dillon SDB set up for 44 magnum under the bench that I'll mount on the bench one day. I load 250-300 rounds of 308 Winchester precision ammo every 2 years and 250-300 rounds of .223 precision ammo every 2 or 3 years using single stage press. I'll load 300 Blk and 308 Winchester subsonic occasionally for friends. Also load .308 and .243 low recoil rounds for my son and some friends.
Used to load a lot more calibers years ago but have been cutting back due to lack of time and low cost of ammo.
I only load a few calibers.

9mm
38/357mag
45ACP
7mm-08
7.62x39
30-06
338WM

If I do end up getting a 6mm ARC I will be adding another caliber :)
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Spent my childhood helping dad reload. I REALLY need to get a Lee handloader....

Quality time w/ Netflix and some primers. I'm thinking 9mm is a price per round winner these days for reloads.
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Bob wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:16 pm Spent my childhood helping dad reload. I REALLY need to get a Lee handloader....

Quality time w/ Netflix and some primers. I'm thinking 9mm is a price per round winner these days for reloads.
Reloading is a great hobby. I like how I can control the process and see the outcome.

I just wish components were readily available as I have cut back my shooting. I want enough in stock for a while and the primer shortage is not making me happy.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The only thing I have currently is the little Lee Classic Loader, the one you do by hand. Haven't used it yet. I figure I'll wait till things return to normal and then get into the powder, primer, bullet thing. It's a great idea but not the prime time to start till prices stabilize. Which I figure will be around the second quarter of next year.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

David wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:40 am The only thing I have currently is the little Lee Classic Loader, the one you do by hand. Haven't used it yet. I figure I'll wait till things return to normal and then get into the powder, primer, bullet thing. It's a great idea but not the prime time to start till prices stabilize. Which I figure will be around the second quarter of next year.
Yeah it is definitely not the time to get into the hobby. Glad I was taught really young and got my Rockchucker over 20 years ago. I just did not stock up enough primers and projectiles over the last few years and I should have.... Fingers crossed that primers come back into circulation at reasonable prices as I have powder and brass to last. Projectiles are a minor setback but I have enough for now.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I don't reload much. I've worked up loads for 300blk and 308, but don't even have those guns anymore. I've scaled back to 9mm and rimfire which I can buy cheap enough that reloading isn't worth my time.
If I get the 77/357 I've been thinking about, I'll load for it to get max velocity out of that long barrel.
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Ronin.45 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:42 pm I don't reload much. I've worked up loads for 300blk and 308, but don't even have those guns anymore. I've scaled back to 9mm and rimfire which I can buy cheap enough that reloading isn't worth my time.
If I get the 77/357 I've been thinking about, I'll load for it to get max velocity out of that long barrel.
What do/did you use for equipment?
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Old RCBS single stage, RCBS powder measure and a beam scale. For those loads I didn't do big quantities so single is best. I have upgraded to a digital scale for future tasks.