Packaging Dry Foods in Plastic Bottles for Long Term Food Storage

Recipes, freeze-dried, deydrated and all food related threads.
David
Administrator

Packaging Dry Foods in Plastic Bottles for Long Term Food Storage

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Re: Packaging Dry Foods in Plastic Bottles for Long Term Food Storage

Post by aerynsun »

good article.

I saw one where the person put most of the ingredients together in one bottle.

Also, I wonder why the author didn't mention glass bottles (e.g. wine) and mason jars which are very inexpensive when you buy in bulk.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I think that would work fantastic without even watching!

Small, easy to identify contents, easy to load up, or use only a small portion of a larger stock!
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Been doing that for a while now... using 1L seltzer bottles ( as they don't really need much cleaning like soda )
Yes they not perfect.
BUT, for dry goods and legumes , IMO, are perfect.
They do not prevent oxygen from migrating but if you throw in an oxygen depleter it does extend the time quite a bit.
Just recently open 5 yr old product and it was perfect.

One tip I can say is do not put in items together that cook at different rates ( don't ask how I know :lol: )
Now it is just one bottle, one type of dry goods.

PS no o2 depleter with sugar :)
You can't fix stupid !
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

I believe they last much longer when kept/stored in dark place.
Light will break down the plastic over time.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

A very interesting approach.
1. the containers are food grade
2. they are small and so if opened, will last a while.

The part that I do not know and why.

There are different kinds of plastics and glass. Just like there are different kinds of doctors and university professors.
1. If you look on the bottom of a new paint bucket, it will say "2" and it will mean food grade.
2. if you buy a flimsy water bottle in the grocery store, the plastic used is cheap and not designed to last a year on the shelf, much less sitting in the trunk of a car.
3. you would never be told, but if you could ask the original company how long the plastic used in the container would last, you would be well advised to do so.
4. of course, keep things in the dark, not at high temperature.
5. you really have to know what you are storing, and forget the b.s. about nutrition. Some grains will last forever if you just keep the bugs out. Every runs around yelling "rice, rice".
a. brown rice will go bad after a couple of years.
b. white rice has little nutrition in it, no matter how well you pack it. The nutrition is in the bran which is removed at the factory.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Only diff from most of article is that I put the o2 depleter in last at top of bottle.
I set and fill all my bottles first and then open the glass jar with the depleter so they are not exposed to air a long time.
( putting some product in storage container to eliminate space before re closing )

I fill with pasta ( pastina as there is less air space ), lentils, black beans, dry milk, flour...etc.

Like mentioned, 5 yr old product so far has been fine ( pasta )... the o2 lack does kill bugs from hatching, and just extends the storage time tho all get dated and rotated on a set basis... next year some set aside will be rechecked tho all bottles are tight to feel ,under some sort of vacuum.
Brown rice limited to 2 yrs before use.
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:36 am Only diff from most of article is that I put the o2 depleter in last at top of bottle.
That's what I would do. Same as I did with the 5 gallon buckets.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".