Guns-n-ammo buying craze

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Guns-n-ammo buying craze

Post by David »

Well it's worth bringing this back up to the top. In the 3 1/2 months since I started this thread things have only gotten crazier. Armslist has folks trying to get a dollar a round for 9mm. Online sources are mostly sold out in 9mm. Glad I have pistols that shoot/capable of shooting 40 S&W and 357sig. Gives me more options. I just ordered 500 rounds of 40 S&W.

Folks still asking ridiculous prices for their used guns on Armslist as well. I see Glocks with night sights for $900. Which is more than double what I'd pay.

I don't foresee things evening out and going back down in price until a few months after the election/inauguration.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I have said all along that this panic buying will roll right into election panic buying and we won't see anything close to normal until next year. I wish someone would offer me $1/round of 9mm. I'd sell a few cases real quick.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Just opened a new sportsmans warehouse on the west side of the state. Plenty of guns and ammo available albeit at inflated prices. Ammo is running about $100 more per case than last fall just about everywhere.

Ive pretty much switched to shooting just 22 to save my centerfire ammo until things straighten out. I still have about 50k of 22s but am going through 500-1k a week.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 pm Ive pretty much switched to shooting just 22 to save my centerfire ammo until things straighten out.
That really isn't a bad idea at all. I feel pretty decent with the stock of ammo I have right now, but shooting on a regular basis would whittle it down in short order. It might not be a bad idea getting something like that .22 pistol you just bought or a conversion kit for one of the Glocks.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

With my recent range trips I am firing up the reloading press at some point in the next few days while on vacation. I have plenty of components for now but it is time to get more on order.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

I went to the range today to sight in a couple of scopes. There was a couple that entered just ahead of me and they were looking for a handgun to purchase. This range doesn't really keep selling stock. They have rentals and will order for you or handle a transfer. This couple stated that they have been all over our local area and haven't found anything. I did not hear if they were looking for something specific or just "anything". But they were about to head to a gun shop that was 60 miles away.

There was another gentleman there, elderly (and I'm in my 60s), and obviously working with a new, if not first, handgun. He came off of the range to ask staff to help him load a magazine. I recognized a P365 mag. As staff was helping him I went to my range bag and pulled out my maglula. I offered him the use of the loader and showed him how to work it. After he was through he returned it and got the name. I told him several of the places he could order one from. Hopefully he will get one. Easier loading means more fun shooting, more fun shooting means more shooting, more shooting means better shooting, better shooting means better gun safety and handling skills.

Getting the scopes dialed in was necessary for me today. Now that that's done switching to .22s is a really good idea. I have ample ammo and a couple of CZs (a 452 and a 455) that haven't been out to shoot for quite awhile. I think they would enjoy getting out of the safe.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

ratf51 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:32 pm As staff was helping him I went to my range bag and pulled out my maglula.
Huge +1 for the Maglula!

A P365 mag can be very hard to load, particularly when new. The Maglula makes it easy-peasy.

ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

David wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:10 pm
ratf51 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:32 pm As staff was helping him I went to my range bag and pulled out my maglula.
Huge +1 for the Maglula!

A P365 mag can be very hard to load, particularly when new. The Maglula makes it easy-peasy.
Yes, the Maglula makes a profound difference. I have come to the conclusion that I need a second one. One is none kinda thing.

And I do hope that the gentleman gets one. He was appreciative of the loan.

And now I want to go shoot my CZs.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:59 pm
Mac66 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 pm Ive pretty much switched to shooting just 22 to save my centerfire ammo until things straighten out.
That really isn't a bad idea at all. I feel pretty decent with the stock of ammo I have right now, but shooting on a regular basis would whittle it down in short order. It might not be a bad idea getting something like that .22 pistol you just bought or a conversion kit for one of the Glocks.
Was just up at my range and put another 500 rounds of 22s through my P17s and a 10/22 on my new (to me) plate rack. Couldn't do that with centerfire. Except for for some sighting in of hunting rifles no more centerfire until/if things get back to normal.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:04 pm Was just up at my range and put another 500 rounds of 22s through my P17s and a 10/22 on my new (to me) plate rack. Couldn't do that with centerfire. Except for for some sighting in of hunting rifles no more centerfire until/if things get back to normal.
Yeah, it’s time to start being a bit frugal with the main calibers. I put this on GT and it seemed to be popular and I think is spot on...

It will calm down, however, don't expect that until about the second quarter of next year. There are still three different 'situations’ to get through;
  • Right now you still have the MSM oscillating back and forth between Covid and riots (er, I mean peaceful protests). They will push the fear and gin up stats until election time.
  • You'll have the normal pre-election panic buying for those that don't understand President Trump will win re-election in an overwhelming land slide.
  • Then you'll have whatever paid protests are still left over (haven't been arrested yet) around President Trump's second inauguration.
Then it will take a few months to get back to normal. By that time the gun and ammo compaines (who have been pumping out guns and ammo as fast as they can to milk this latest gravy train) will start to have a glut in inventory. So then the prices will come down. On top of this you'll have the sheep that panicked, bought a gun(s) and ammo at gouger-pricing try to dump both for whatever they can get on the used market. Oh, they'll try to get top dollar but by that time the floor will be falling out of the market. So I figure about a year from now, perhaps a little sooner and it will be time to go shopping.

Fortunately, those that knew this was coming were already stocked up in both categories. And they knew well enough not to just have ONE go-to caliber of choice. Those that didn't learn the lesson from the last go-around and those that are new to the thought process are paying for those decisions.