Vehicle preps

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Vehicle preps

Post by David »

I bought the stuff to do an oil change in both my car and my son's car. Full synthetic 5qt from Walmart (Supertech) is only $15 and an oil filter is around $3 so for about $20 after tax we can change the oil with full synthetic. Well, we did his car yesterday without issue using the high mileage full synthetic (he has 99K on his vehicle). Don't know if there is really any difference but it was the same price as regular full synthetic.

I couldn't do my car though, I cannot get the drain plug to unscrew no matter how hard I try. Must have been put on by a gorilla using a pneumatic drill! So I've called around. Firestone wants $75 for a full synthetic oil change which is ridiculous. Walmart service center isn't open right now because of the virus. So I remembered I had a Chevy coupon that came in the mail. Called them up and full synthetic is only $44 - the $10 coupon. So I scheduled for next Monday. Still going to be twice what a DIY change would cost but at least I can tell them to put it on by hand and not drill this time so maybe I can do it next time myself.

We average about 10+ years on any vehicle we purchase. Not one of those folks that trade in every 2-3 years. My son's car is a 2008 Kia Sportage that was mine until I gave it to him. My car is a 2017 Chevy Equinox. I would like to give that one to him and purchase myself a nice 'retirement' present vehicle in the fall. Not sure what yet, probably another SUV type of vehicle. But that would change him out from an 11+ year old vehicle (that still runs great) to a 3+ year old vehicle that is still under warranty.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Re: Vehicle preps

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:43 am

I couldn't do my car though, I cannot get the drain plug to unscrew no matter how hard I try.
Try some penetrating oil overnight. If that doesn't work some heat might help.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Part of the problem is the edges of the bolt are rounding. This is due to mechanics using pneumatics instead of their hand to put it on. I’m taking it to Chevy and asking them to put it back on by hand. Maybe I’ll be able to get it off next time.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Percussive shock: a good wack with a hammer square on the head of the bolt will loosen it. Use a 6 point socket and a longer than usual ratchet or a pipe over the end extension and bump the end forcefully= acts like an impact. If you strip the head of the nut, no worries, they will just weld a larger nut over the stripped one and remove it with a larger socket and the heat from the weld will help loosen it. And for the really ornrey ones I'll use a hammer and chisel and tap around the outside edge of the bolt, the leverage usually gets them loose. Or the time honored tradition of hammering on an old socket that is a little smaller onto the head of the bolt works sometimes.

A new drain bolt with nylon washer or aluminum washer costs about $7 bucks at the local auto parts store, hand that to the service writer guy and tell him you would like that one hand tightened... Please. If this part is purchased at the dealership it will cost $30 bucks.

Yeah, I know you've already made up your mind, but since I do this for a living I couldn't help myself... :D
... Just a Dude...
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Another good and often overlooked "vehicle prep" is keeping up on your tire pressures: check pressure once a month and keep your car or light SUV tires at about 35 psi cold- this helps your tires last longer/ your vehicle handle correctly and saves you gas. Trucks have different ratings check your owners manual for proper specs.
Over inflation will cause stress cracking and will shorten the life of your tires and will cause poor handling in wet conditions.
I said "cold" because like the air you breath the compressed air in the tanks you fill up with has moisture in it and when heated this humidity expands, so if you set your tire pressures right at the top of the spec, when your tires heat up from the friction of the road, you will be running over pressure.
Of course some of this changes when you carry heavier than usual loads, it's up to you to use the proper tool for the proper job... YMMV

Does anyone keep and use a small onboard air compressor in their vehicle? What kind? I'm looking for a good one for mine.
... Just a Dude...
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

You can't fix stupid !
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

I keep a few tools in my cars. I am about to re-evaluate my car tool kit. What do y'all think would be a bare minimum kit? After the minimum kit what would you add in? What to your mind are "must haves" and what are "nice to haves"?
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I have in tool kit...
one of those cheap harbor freight socket sets
pliers
screwdrivers
bailing wire
air pump & tire plugger
jumper cables
duc tape

Fiq if I can't fix it with above, it's time to call for help
You can't fix stupid !
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Now on my "to get" list: Socket wrench set (Harbor Freight), some sort of air pump, a tire repair kit. Thanks!
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Thanx to Tom Mac for the suggestions on tire repair, we now have the mushroom tire repair kits for each vehicle= I have used one of those once a long time ago and it worked awesomely.
I also bought this one for my Jeep: https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40026-Heav ... 166&sr=8-6
= It's not as awesome as I had hoped as it took more than 6 minutes to fill the spare from 0 psi to 35 psi, the ad stated 3 minutes, but it is a good bit of kit for the money and it is compact.

We have the standard tool kits:
cheap socket set
pliers
adjustable wrench
screwdrivers
jumper cables
one gallon of 50/50 antifreeze
one qt of trans fluid/ engine oil
and now the tire plugs/ mini compressor
a pretty good floor jack and a tractor jack
and the large X wrench/ lug wrench -for leverage

... Just a Dude...