Woods carry

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.

What is your preferred caliber for woods carry?

.22lr
11%
38 Special
11%
357 magnum
11%
44 magnum
No votes
9mm
No votes
40 S&W
11%
357sig
11%
10mm
11%
45acp
22%
Other, please discuss in a post.
11%

Total votes: 9

David
Administrator

Woods carry

Post by David »

Note that I have added a poll to this thread. Please vote for the caliber you'd prefer to carry in the woods.

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=18&p=1444#p1444

I started the above thread on why it's important to be armed in the 'woods' and by 'woods' I mean any type of wilderness/outdoor environment. So the question pops up; what do you carry in the woods when you're out and about? What kind of threats to you feel are a valid consideration? What concerns would you have?

For me, rabid/sick animals are a realistic concern and my county has been in a rabies warning a few times over the years. We have black bear and panther in my area but though I've seen sign before I've never seen one in the wild. We have large gators of course and I've had 12-footers in the pond across the street from my house. But for gators all you need is a good walking stick. We do have aggressive wild hogs in the area. One went after a buddies dog once in one of the areas we do SEP gatherings. And we also have coyote and feral dogs. And of course two-legged threats.

I had a G22.4 as my primary woods-carry pistol but now that I have the HK P2000 V2 in 40 S&W I think that will take over that roll. This allows the G22 to remain in a HD roll which gives me a high-capacity Glock in every main section of the house for easy/quick access. I think the P2000 loaded with either a 180g HP or FMJ will be quite sufficient for any likely threat I may face while out in the wilds in my area.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Woods carry

Post by Ronin.45 »

We don't have any big threats around here so it's more about picking the correct load than stepping up to a bigger gun. I currently have some Lehigh Defense extreme defender for my 9mm. These give me a little added penetration in the off chance a deer, large feral dog, or even small black bear came along, but they still offer good performance on 2-legged threats.
If I was going somewhere with bears, I'd load some buffalo bore 255gr hard cast 45Supers in a G21.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Well I am of the mind that most times on the out doors a .22 pistol or rifle is all that you need. Then I remember I live in one of the few states where Humans are not at the top of the food chain.

I still only carry a 22 when out in the woods.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

While I am not a fan of .40 overall, I think it is a great woods caliber. I'm usually packing 9mm, because, well, at some point the bear is just that close and if I can't kill it with 15 rounds of 9, nothing will.

People more of a problem than bears though. And as always, 12g for the win on anything on two or four legs, and wings. Including reptiles here in FL.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Now I have a dilemma; When out hiking/campaing do I carry my HK P2000 40 or HK USP 40 compact? I want to be an operator while out in the 'bush' so you know...HK. :mrgreen:

Bob will understand.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Mk23
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Mah, Depends on where you live, a rattlesnake will be your biggest threat here in Fla, so a .22 loaded with rat shot would be fine. A couple of hollow points or Velocitors loaded a few rounds in for hogs...
... Just a Dude...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Gnepig wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:09 am Mah, Depends on where you live, a rattlesnake will be your biggest threat here in Fla, so a .22 loaded with rat shot would be fine. A couple of hollow points or Velocitors loaded a few rounds in for hogs...
I think I'd be more comfortable with a little .38 snub loaded with snake shot for snakes. While you can drop a 50 lbs hog with a well placed .22 pellet, I don't know if I'd be comfortable with using a .22 on a large, aggressive hog?

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Im at my cabin right now cutting wood and walking around checking the game cameras. The bears are back and the cubs are getting big! Momma is still with them.

I've been carrying my 44 mag redhawk while walking around. 240 gr hardcast at 1400 fps ought to do the trick if they start anything.

I did bring my new old security 6 with different loads including bear loads. if it ever stops raining I'll try it out.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:54 pm Im at my cabin right now cutting wood and walking around checking the game cameras. The bears are back and the cubs are getting big! Momma is still with them.

I've been carrying my 44 mag redhawk while walking around. 240 gr hardcast at 1400 fps ought to do the trick if they start anything.

I did bring my new old security 6 with different loads including bear loads. if it ever stops raining I'll try it out.
I've never owned a Blackhawk or Redhawk but they've always seemed like a really cool/neat revolver to have. As I understand it, the BH is single-action and the RH is double-action. If that is the case, I thing I'd prefer the RH as it could be both DA/SA. And I like the look better as it reminds me of a GP100 type revolver. That S6 you have is a nice find as well.