Cash on hand...

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
maypo59

Re: Cash on hand...

Post by maypo59 »

We started putting $100, every month, in the safe. 1's to 50's.. we started that when I retired in '97.. still do it. Like a lot of prepping type stuff.. you keep doing it over time.. When she gets a bonus, 1/2 goes in.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

I like the prepay card because if it gets lost or compromized it only has a little money on it and they cant clean out the bank with it.
... Just a Dude...
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

This is one of those topics that we just don't discuss outside of the house.
maypo59

Post by maypo59 »

Bmyers wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:18 pm This is one of those topics that we just don't discuss outside of the house.
Nothing wrong with that. at all.. we all have the things we keep close, and the things we don't worry about. Saving money is something people should talk about, and more importantly, they should DO..

When I was but a lowly PFC many many moons ago, I was the commanders jeep and tank driver. We spent a lot of time together, he was a smart guy. When I got promoted to SPC4, he convinced me to put half my "raise" into savings, and enjoy the other half "now" and the 1st half later. I did that all the way through my career. Every promotion, every raise, every bonus. We built a house when I retired. I tracked him down, a couple years ago, and thanked him.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Sadly we have a few family members that wouldn't hesitate to break into your home and rob you blind (one of the reasons we have always kept dogs). On one occasion I had to met with the Sheriff Dept at my wife's grandmother's apartment because of the family members had robbed her (took her whole month's check).

Because of the family history, we don't advertise somethings even though I can assure you we do take steps to make sure we are prepared.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Bmyers wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:06 pm Sadly we have a few family members that wouldn't hesitate to break into your home and rob you blind (one of the reasons we have always kept dogs).
Sadly, I have a few weapons that I would not hesitate to shoot them dead with. And a dog. No offense...
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

The importance of Financial preparedness in general needs wayyyy more discussion;

No debt, Savings, investing for retirement, etc...
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Bob wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:23 pm The importance of Financial preparedness in general needs wayyyy more discussion;

No debt, Savings, investing for retirement, etc...
That I agree with. I'm thankful that my wife has more wisdom in this area than I, although my dad and grandpa both taught me to be thrift with my spending.

I have been investing in a retirement plan since I was 21, we set aside money from each paycheck to go into savings, we have invested money over the years and currently using that money to pay for our daughter's education and have put her through three years of school without having to take out a loan.

The nice thing, being financially prepared allows you to weather storms without nearly as much stress.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Agree... lucky for my pension, but the 457 plan I was in for over 25 yrs was a great blessing down the road.
A little here/there isn't really missed but it does add up long term.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

We put three kids through college and still socked away enough so my wife could retire at 55 and I retired at 57. We both have pretty good pensions and add Social Security to that when we turned 62. Paid off the house and cars. We made more on investment interest last year than we used to make in income both of us working full time. Of course it kinda crashed this year but It'll be back. We're financing the new house because there's a penalty for withdrawing funds out of our 403Bs early but that will be paid off when we sell our current house in a few years. Can't leave yet with three of our parents still alive.