We didn't change anything

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bmyers
Board Founder

We didn't change anything

Post by Bmyers »

Well, guessing over the last few years of preparing, we have made the right choices. As we have been going through the pandemic, we didn't feel the need to buy any new firearms because we might be lacking in an area. Wife and I reviewed our setups, talked about what was going on, and looked at everything from our EDC to what we have in a various bags. I guess I did change one thing, I have went back to carrying the G26 because of the ability to use all the double stack mags verses carrying the G43.

Yet, I was pleased to see as we have progressed through this outbreak and watch stores close, watched how things have changed, neither the wife or I felt that we were lacking in the self-defense area.

One of the big reasons for our success is forums such as this one that helped talk/debate through what may or may not be needed and why. It helped us make the decisions over the years and proved to allow us to be successful so far.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: We didn't change anything

Post by Bob »

If you had a pistol or a shotgun, and a box of ammo you still would have been fine. Or both.

Girlfriend was shocked at how empty the ammo shelves at Walmsart were. And also said "Move on - you don't need anymore of that!"

Assessment of food and other things was more informative to me.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

I am basically with you on this. Not only from having a sense of security re: the ability to defend family, home, and self but also from not having a sense of urgency to rush out and buy food and other necessities. It has caused me to review what I have and what I may need to add in the future. I did sell an AR and those funds will go to purchase a smaller concealed carry pistol-- most likely a P365.

I have been to my LGS only once in all this and that was mostly to see what may have been going on. They had ample handguns on display, no real change there, the long guns on the other hand-- rifles, shotguns, the whole mix inclusive of rimfires-- were much more thinned out. Ammo was thinned out, most notably in 9mm, and they had instituted a purchase limit. Had I wanted I could have still purchased any of several good self defense rounds in 9mm.

And I heartily agree that it is forums like this that have, over the years, helped us to make wiser and better choices and inspired us to become more prepared for times like this. So, here is a thank you to the founder of SEP and all those who participate herein!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:01 am Well, guessing over the last few years of preparing, we have made the right choices. As we have been going through the pandemic, we didn't feel the need to buy any new firearms because we might be lacking in an area. Wife and I reviewed our setups, talked about what was going on, and looked at everything from our EDC to what we have in a various bags...Yet, I was pleased to see as we have progressed through this outbreak and watch stores close, watched how things have changed, neither the wife or I felt that we were lacking in the self-defense area.
It is a very comforting feeling to see that specific plans have paid off. Allows you to stay calm and focused. Having talked with you about your Glocks/PCC set ups in the past I think you have a very smart, logical plan. Actually, having talked with you about your set up helped me with ours which is why I have the two Sub 2K's that take Glock mags (G17). Although I'm not exclusively Glock, I still have three (G22.4 [which also has a 9mm conversion barrel], G26.4 and 19X). These are the three that I don't believe I'd part with as each has a specific function, they can all share mags and compliment the Sub 2K's. So you rubbed off, lol.

With that in mind, I have also branched off into HK's and I'm pretty happy about that as well and there is some cross-over. The P30, P30sk and USPc 9mm will share mags. The P2000 is in 40 S&W (which compliments my G22.4 with 40 S&W barrel for a 2-is-1/1-is-none thing) and also has a 357sig barrel. A possible addition may be a 9mm conversion barrel for a 3-in-1 pistol.

The odd duck is the Sig P365 as it's by itself. But I'm okay with that as I have either the G26 or P30sk as back up for CCW carry. And I may very well go back and forth between the three as the mood strikes. Since I have at one time or another carried all three as an off-duty weapon I have the necessary set ups in holsters and mag holders for each.
I guess I did change one thing, I have went back to carrying the G26 because of the ability to use all the double stack mags verses carrying the G43.

I think that is a smart move. I've said in the past, I really liked the G43 that I had. But in the back of my mind I just didn't like the low capacity (compared to other pistols in the category) or not being able to use the higher cap magazines. I just got use to carrying a G26 with G19 mag and Xgrip and spare G19 mag. It was just hard to cut the capacity down so drastically. The G43 was great in-and-of-itself but the G26 just offered so much more even if a little thicker.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Agree...
no real changes done here, still running as normal as the rest of world allows.
All previous plans seem to be about 4+/5 stars with minor things missing.

As to ammo, reloading helps alot.... manage to put away a few K of newly made at the rate of about .14 per
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

And thank you for the kind words everyone. This is YOUR forum :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

tom mac wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:05 am Agree...
no real changes done here, still running as normal as the rest of world allows.
All previous plans seem to be about 4+/5 stars with minor things missing.

As to ammo, reloading helps alot.... manage to put away a few K of newly made at the rate of about .14 per
I agree with the reloading. I'm so happy that the wife got the reloader for me, I have made ammo and can make ammo anytime I want.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

We were caught light in food stores because we recently moved and hadn't stocked the pantry yet. Still plenty on hand, but not the selection we would have preferred. Otherwise we were pretty well set
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

We we well prepared but the thing that stands out is the several of my nieces, my daughter and my wife suddenly realized the benefit of a concealed pistol license. Not sure why a pandemic caused an awakening but I'll take it. We will set up training when this virus thing is all over.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Perhaps a lot of folks thought that local L.E. would be heavily affected and they’d be on their own?

What reason did the ladies give for the change of heart?