Practical Preps: 2 How to use this book

A section for those to share their research, stories and other offerings.
Bob
Board Founder

Practical Preps: 2 How to use this book

Post by Bob »

How to use this book

The entire purpose of this book is to first help you to become ready for an emergency as fast as possible, without getting all wrapped up in figuring out what to do, without over thinking things, and without looking like a crazy doomsday survivalist prepper nut job. The bottom line is that just like having a car in good repair, some basic insurance coverage, and your bank account in order, there are some very basic things you should have on hand, just in case. And “just-in-case” happens more often and in more places than you think, even if it hasn’t happened to you yet. And I’ll make sure that everything we do is also just plain convenient on any given Tuesday evening even if nothing goes wrong. So take advantage of the work have I put into this and get busy getting things and stop thinking. I have divided each chapter into five sections and following the first step of each will never be wrong. So go do it now!

The Critical Information section provides a bare minimum (very minimum) of information that you need to know about this topic why it is important. It’s basically the justification or foundation for why this chapter is included, and will explain why many things are selected and in the amounts that are suggested. You may learn a few very important things you never knew here. Or even if you knew them, you hopefully will see why you need to do something about them.

In the If It’s Already Too Late section of each chapter, I put information that you can use immediately in case something is actually happening right now. You can’t really time these things, so if you happened to buy this book and just put it on the shelf, or keep it on your iPad, this will be extremely helpful. Or, even if you are ready, these things may still a good idea. In the middle of something bad, you don’t have to figure it out, just follow the instructions.

In the Immediately section, I want you to go from “Zero to Ready” as fast as possible. This is really the core of this book. The purpose of this step is literally getting and storing supplies for an emergency. The best way to do that is to read and do exactly what it says at the beginning of each section. Don’t ask questions, don’t argue, and don’t worry. Just read the instructions, do the math, and get the gear. This is a very lean bare minimum that will really provide you with the basics without a lot of cost or hassle. It is far better than what FEMA recommends (Those are the government people who you complain about for botch the response to every real disaster we have, yet make the recommendations for what to do, yet are depending on if you haven’t done the things in this book). If all you do is what’s in the Immediately section, you will be more ready, safe, secure for whatever might happen than most people.

If you feel the need, then explore the Next Steps part of each section. The purpose of this section is considerably extending your state of readiness, but we’ll do it by making sure you integrate real life with the potential for real trouble. Maybe you’ll do this immediately or maybe you’ll consider these actions after a close call. Perhaps you’ll look into these steps as part of a regularly scheduled review, just like filing your taxes and planning summer vacation (both potentially serious disasters without some preparation!). It will go a little deeper, and require that you put just a little more thought into what’s going on where you live. Whether you follow some of these recommendations or not, you’ll feel better knowing that you did, or that you at least considered them and decided they were not for you. But no matter what – there won’t be any wacky bio suit drills or anti-radiation supplies involved!

The next part each chapter is called The Long Term and is there just to expose you to what some of the possible steps to really extend your readiness could be. A lot of this will probably look like the part of the book for the “crazy tinfoil hat” people. To be fair, it is. We’ll have some fun and a few laughs with this section. You have to have a sense of humor about the end of the world as we know it (TEOTWAWKI, as it is referred to by serious preppers). Quite honestly, if you start to take up some of these things, you are moving beyond the scope of this book. I’m more interested in keeping you ready for a week because of a really bad storm and it’s aftermath than “Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.” Still, whether you see something that you feel is necessary in your particular situation, just want a feel for some additional ‘options’, or to get a good laugh doesn’t matter to me. It’s there; Consider it, ignore it, use it, or just be entertained by it.

I’ll take time at the end of each chapter to cover any other points or general issues that I think are good to discuss. But I won’t let them get in the way of taking care of the important business, which is all the stuff before this section.