What items are you missing or short of ?

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: What items are you missing or short of ?

Post by tom mac »

LOL
You can't fix stupid !
maypo59

Post by maypo59 »

David wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:25 pm
maypo59 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:23 pm Pretty sure all US nuclear power plants will shut themselves down automatically..
But at some point the water level on the rods will come down right? It has to be maintained at a certain level.
yes eventually, it will have to.. but in my way of thinking.. that's all Mad Max scenario, and if you are still alive then, it's probably not going to be that high on your list of things to worry about, and absolutely at the top of the list of things not in your control.. I am not a nuclear engineer, but my cousin is, and he says that when a reactor shuts down, the rods are shielded by more then water, a melt down is technically possible, but highly unlikely, and an explosion is out of the question. Chernobyl happened because, all the safeties were bypassed at once, on purpose.
Jackal359

Post by Jackal359 »

Canned, dried fruit as well as flour are my only concerns, thought i had plenty we have been burning though it. We have been teaching the kids baking, you want a sweet treat sure no problem make it.

I have decided to increase commerical canned stewed beef, bottled water, propane and more veg seeds. Prep for increased planting in prep for the next round of covid. 1918 Spanish flu returned twice in 1919 and 1920.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Flour is also running low here had a 5 gallon bucket, but not as much as yeast.
Had to make a store run for yeast to use in the bread making :)

I guess there is the old natural yeast way, but not up on that... thinking it may be flat bread time :)
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:25 am Flour is also running low here had a 5 gallon bucket, but not as much as yeast.
Had to make a store run for yeast to use in the bread making :)

I guess there is the old natural yeast way, but not up on that... thinking it may be flat bread time :)
There is a M.E. store near us, right across the street from Bush Gardens. They get various types of flat bread from a local bakery and man is it good! I'd like to learn how to make it. Great for all kinds of M.E. dishes but also as a treat I like to put some raw, unfiltered honey on that flat (yet fluffy) bread. Great snack.

Now I'm hungry... :lol:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

https://cafedelites.com/easy-garlic-flatbread-recipe/

no yeast.... going to try it out tomorrow
You can't fix stupid !
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Was GREAT.... followed recipe below , no yeast needed
Topped it with a pesto of black olives, basil, grated cheese, garlic from a blender

Ingredients

2 cups / 300g plain flour (all purpose flour) (level cups, unsifted, not packed), + keep 1/4 cup extra for dusting & adjusting dough

1/2 tsp salt

3 1/2 tbsp / 50g butter (1.75 oz)

3/4 cup / 185 ml milk

1/2 tbsp oil (for cooking)

Instructions

Combine butter and milk and heat until butter is just melted - on stove or in microwave.
Combine 2 cups flour, salt, butter and milk.
Sprinkle work surface with flour then knead for a few minutes until it is smooth - it doesn't need much kneading. Add extra flour if the dough is too sticky.
Wrap with cling wrap and rest at room temperature for 30 minutes or so.
Dust bench top with flour, cut dough into 4 pieces, roll into balls, then roll out into about 1/8" / 0.3cm thick rounds.
Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a non stick pan over medium heat - or lower if you have a heavy based skillet. (Note 1)
Place one flatbread in the pan, cook for around 1- 1 1/2 minutes - it should bubble up (see photo in post)- then flip and cook the other side, pressing down if it puffs up. There should be a smallish golden brown spots on both sides.
Stack the cooked bread and keep wrapped with a tea towel - the moisture helps soften the surface, making them even more pliable.
Continue to cook with remaining pieces.
Optional: Brush or spray bread with olive oil or melted butter, for a more luxurious finish. Or even with melted butter mixed with minced garlic for a garlic butter version!
20200430_114426a.jpg
20200430_114426a.jpg (96.56 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Looks good! Bring out the honey or whatever your favorite spread is for good homemade bread :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Well, now I have an easy thing for the flour... no yeast needed to make bread.

It would be easy to make on a flat griddle or at a camp fire in a cast pan.

Remove from list more yeast!...
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I haven't been to Costco since January when I ramped up the preps. I still have another month's worth of paper supplies and cleaning supplies.

This last week I went by Home Depot during mid morning to get a few things. There were at least 100 tradesmen standing outside in a line to get in. When I went by Ralph's there were no paper goods.

I don't see the supply situation improving before the end of the year. So, I had to think of how to bypass some of the road blocks.
1. I researched substitute all purpose cleaners and found no name or store brand name ones with the same composition as the national brands. Ordered a couple of gallons for free delivery. I never bought little spray bottles in the past. I simply loaded from the larger containers.
2. I found the floor polish that I wanted. No one gallon containers. Purchased a 5 gallon container and will not have to worry about buying any for a couple of years. again free delivery.

Remember, the federal government allows $.55 a mile for business driving. When I factor in the cost of driving to my nearest Home Depot round trip -$4 and then figure in my time, I am ahead just buying in bulk on the cleaning supplies.