Is this guy an idiot?

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bob
Board Founder

Is this guy an idiot?

Post by Bob »

Or is it just me?

I watched and listened to this, and honestly, I think he needs his @$$ beat. Am I wrong here?

aerynsun

Re: Is this guy an idiot?

Post by aerynsun »

Loud in the house, optic in the house? I stopped there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuI6GTY9eVc
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

His information on the guns is sound. His opinion on loud being good is stupid. Aside from that it's a decent video for newer shooters.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

His point on being loud, the way I took it, was so that neighbors would know there is an issue and call the Calvary. Not that loud was a good thing in and of itself.

Normally I would think an AR is a better choice if your home was in a more rural setting. But his reasoning is sound from the factors he listed.

I know from an ease perspective, my wife has an easier time with a 9mm PCC than an 9mm pistol. This is subjective and will differ from person to person.

Bob, what were the specific points you disagreed with?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

AR in my setting prob not so good as neighboring houses can be 40ft away.... 1/3 to 1/2 ac plots.
I always lean to my 12g 870 shotgun and backup pistol
You can't fix stupid !
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Tom, he mentions briefly in the video that 5.56 bullets tend to break up when they hit solid surfaces. They will usually penetrate less than typical handgun rounds through barriers like drywall. Good defensive rounds will obviously stop even better than FMJ and that goes for handguns as well.

Dave, I got his thinking on loud being an alert for his neighbors, but it's a really minimal benefit for the tremendous increase in muzzle blast and noise. Especially when he's recommending an SBR or AR pistol. It would be like lighting off a flashbang with every pull of the trigger. The disorientation would be almost as bad for the shooter as the shootee. Not to mention the increase in permanent hearing damage. If you are already engaged in an active gunfight in your house, police response time is unimportant. You either handle it on your own or they pick up your body in the morning. The neighbors somehow being alerted and calling the cops will just get the reports started sooner. Whether the reports include your statement or not depends entirely on you killing or scaring away the intruders. The cops are not going to be there in time to help. I know not everyone has a suppressor, but taking it off for HD is a stupid choice.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:13 am Tom, he mentions briefly in the video that 5.56 bullets tend to break up when they hit solid surfaces. They will usually penetrate less than typical handgun rounds through barriers like drywall. Good defensive rounds will obviously stop even better than FMJ and that goes for handguns as well.

Dave, I got his thinking on loud being an alert for his neighbors, but it's a really minimal benefit for the tremendous increase in muzzle blast and noise. Especially when he's recommending an SBR or AR pistol. It would be like lighting off a flashbang with every pull of the trigger. The disorientation would be almost as bad for the shooter as the shootee. Not to mention the increase in permanent hearing damage. If you are already engaged in an active gunfight in your house, police response time is unimportant. You either handle it on your own or they pick up your body in the morning. The neighbors somehow being alerted and calling the cops will just get the reports started sooner. Whether the reports include your statement or not depends entirely on you killing or scaring away the intruders. The cops are not going to be there in time to help. I know not everyone has a suppressor, but taking it off for HD is a stupid choice.
I understand and agree with you on the loud thing. I was just commenting on what I thought he was trying to convey. Unless you're rural the neighbors are going to hear pistol/PCC shots well enough as it is.

I understand his points in the video, however, for new shooters I think it would be a LOT easier picking up a revolver/pistol in terms of operation rather than an AR.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

And the charts don't show the concussion. My bedside gun is suppressed because I don't want to hurt myself while trying to keep an intruder from hurting me
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

It just sounded to me like he was an AR salesman.

When you are part of fire team clearing a house, yeah...go with your AR.

Otherwise it is a crappy choice for HD in my opinion. I think many many of his points were highly debatable. You can work all the controls an AR but not pump a shotgun? You can, however, handle the blast from 8 shots from an AR pistol and the flash in the dark. AR rounds break up on drywall? He's an idiot.

I call that dude has never killed an actual animal in his life. He's a trained trainer.