Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by Ronin.45 »

David wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 pm
Mac66 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:48 pm I sold my last Ruger SR22 last week and ordered another Keltec P17 from sportsman's warehouse today. Pick up is on March 31.

While I liked both my SR22s I always felt they were about $100+ too much for being plastic and alloy. They are IMO, a $200 gun that sells for over $300. The P17 is a $200 gun that sells for $180. It is about the same size as the SR22, is just as accurate and reliable and serves the same purpose. I sold the SR22s for what I paid used which was $100 more than the P17 cost new. Not to mention that the P17 comes with 3 16 round mags, fiber optic front sight and a threaded barrel w/adapter. Can't beat that with a stick.

The first P17 is my walk in the woods, plinker when I go to the cabin. The second one is a stay at home with momma gun.
I think you've found yourself a real gem. Inexpensive, great capacity and lots of options.

I probably need a .22 pistol, other than the LCP II in .22 I still haven't had the chance to fire yet.
Everyone needs some quality rimfire guns. I'm working on my second pistol to match my 2 rifles. I've had others over the years, but have really fine-tuned what fits my needs.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Ronin.45 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm
Mac66 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:48 pm I sold my last Ruger SR22 last week and ordered another Keltec P17 from sportsman's warehouse today. Pick up is on March 31.

While I liked both my SR22s I always felt they were about $100+ too much for being plastic and alloy. They are IMO, a $200 gun that sells for over $300. The P17 is a $200 gun that sells for $180. It is about the same size as the SR22, is just as accurate and reliable and serves the same purpose. I sold the SR22s for what I paid used which was $100 more than the P17 cost new. Not to mention that the P17 comes with 3 16 round mags, fiber optic front sight and a threaded barrel w/adapter. Can't beat that with a stick.

The first P17 is my walk in the woods, plinker when I go to the cabin. The second one is a stay at home with momma gun.
I think you've found yourself a real gem. Inexpensive, great capacity and lots of options.

I probably need a .22 pistol, other than the LCP II in .22 I still haven't had the chance to fire yet.
Everyone needs some quality rimfire guns. I'm working on my second pistol to match my 2 rifles. I've had others over the years, but have really fine-tuned what fits my needs.
The Keltec P17 may not be considered "quality" but it reliable and serves it's purpose i.e, kit/trail/plinker.

Just ran another 100 rounds through it yesterday without a malfunction. It is a really fun little gun to shoot.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Mac66 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:13 pm
Ronin.45 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm

The Keltec P17 may not be considered "quality" but it reliable and serves it's purpose i.e, kit/trail/plinker.

Just ran another 100 rounds through it yesterday without a malfunction. It is a really fun little gun to shoot.
I haven't had a chance to try one yet, but most of what I've heard has been good. Should be a fun plinker.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Dave, good luck with your lcp 22. My nephew brought his up to my property yesterday to try out. We couldn't get his to run reliably with any of the ammo I brought. I recommended sending it back to ruger.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:45 pm Dave, good luck with your lcp 22. My nephew brought his up to my property yesterday to try out. We couldn't get his to run reliably with any of the ammo I brought. I recommended sending it back to ruger.
That really sucks and I'm sorry it was having issues. I still haven't shot this one yet. With all the 'stuff' going on we've been pretty much staying at home except for going out to pick up perishables (fruits and veggies and such).
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Who is watching the jail Dave?????
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

SO a batch of Zombie Green Duracote arrived. Wonder what I might do with that?!?!?!
Mac66
Board Founder

Another P17

Post by Mac66 »

Picked up my second Kel Tec P17 at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday. I ordered it a couple weeks ago after selling my second Ruger SR22. I had two SR22s, one to use for plinking, walk in the woods, kit gun and one to leave at home for my wife since she liked it so much. I sold the first SR22 last fall with the intention of buying a Taurus TX22 (higher capacity, cheaper price) but didn't sell the SR until after the rebate expired for the TX. Then the P17 came out and I waited until the 1st of March for them to become available. I really liked it. So much so that I sold my second SR and replaced it with another P17. I'm also ahead about $200 which is the difference between what the SRs cost and what the P17 costs. IMO the P17 at $180 OTD is the deal of the year for what you get.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Sounds like you've really found a gem with those pistols. Does sound like an excellent deal.

Still haven't had the opportunity to shot several of my new acquisitions including that LCP II .22 (and hope I have better luck with it that what you experienced).
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

So...I now have a disassembled AR pistol ready for paint prep...