Coronavirus

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: Coronavirus

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:08 pm Think of this of a test to see how things should or shouldn't be done in a more lethal pandemic. Lots of lessons to be learned when this is all over.
Bingo! I was just thinking this tonight. We popped into Winn Dixie on the way home this evening. We rarely shop there but it was on the way home from my niece's house. We just needed to pick up a few perishables like banannas and such. It was about 30 minutes before the store was closing and only a handful of folks were shopping. Other than the toilet paper isle being bare the rest of the store was pretty well stocked. Plenty of actual food available from produce to meat to canned goods to frozen and such. Even plenty of water and the stock guy was actually bringing a pallet full of bottled water from the back to restock.

I'm going to Costco tomorrow to fuel up and pick up a few things like a bag of cat food just to have on hand. Plan on going early so it will be interesting to see how many folks will be there. Last visit a few days ago had more pallets of water than I've ever seen and it was well stocked. Didn't check on TP though so it's probably bare though I'm sure they'll be doing their best to stock up. It will be interesting to see if it's a mad house or simply a normal weekend at Costco.

Getting a lot of emails from Costco to Aldi to various retailers detailing the steps they're taking at this point. Interesting to see that response.

But yeah, we have a legitimate pandemic (though blown out of proportion by the MSM) with cities and states and now nationally under a state of emergency. So it is a good test run to see how people respond, what they do, what they make runs on and how they handle the situation. I firmly believe the MSM is milking it for all it's worth which in turn is making it worse than it actually really is overall. But again it is a good test run.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Well - based on what I have seen, we are effed if something really bad happens.
Like I said in an earlier thread somewhere - I'm on board with you with this one Dave.
And as always - I walked around, looked at stuff and said Food? Water? Fuel? Security? Hygiene? check, check, check....

I I got a note from anyone that said e are shutting it all down for 30 days I'd have gone "Ok"
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Agreed, this is a good test run.
Happy to say , other than greens/produce, there is nothing needed that couldn't wait.
Tho maybe some more wine ... wonder what the shelf life of box wine is ??

EDIT;
This is because BIB's are more porous than glass. Boxed wine is not designed for aging. Consume it within 6-8 months of purchase and the quality will be up to par. On the upside, open a box and the wine will stay fresh for six weeks, unlike a bottle that will go sour after one.
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Publix will be closing at 8pm in order to clean and restock the store. There is buzz that they may close completely for a period of time.

Our Governor has suspended weight restrictions on trucks bringing supplies into the state as well as waiving late fees for things like vehicle registrations, DL's etc.

Illinois Governor is asking all citizens in the state to self quarantine.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Coronavirus and the Sun: a Lesson from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic

https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/coronavir ... 9151dc8065

Put simply, medics found that severely ill flu patients nursed outdoors recovered better than those treated indoors. A combination of fresh air and sunlight seems to have prevented deaths among patients; and infections among medical staff.[1] There is scientific support for this. Research shows that outdoor air is a natural disinfectant. Fresh air can kill the flu virus and other harmful germs. Equally, sunlight is germicidal and there is now evidence it can kill the flu virus.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

David wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:53 pm Publix will be closing at 8pm in order to clean and restock the store. There is buzz that they may close completely for a period of time.

Our Governor has suspended weight restrictions on trucks bringing supplies into the state as well as waiving late fees for things like vehicle registrations, DL's etc.

Illinois Governor is asking all citizens in the state to self quarantine.
See...this would make sense except....THIS IS NOT THE ONLY STATE IN THIS SITUATION!!!!!!!

Idiots think that every truck will be full for their needs. I suppose they all forgot there are 49 other states, plus Congress to provide for...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well, that's two Governors...so far. Expect most if not all others to join in this weekend.

aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

https://www.news965.com/blog/jamie-dupr ... KncIzxXKK/

Domestic Air travel hault?

Shopping - If a store is opened 24 hours go after midnight BUT have high situational awareness - go with a friend to watch you and your car.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

So far it really hasn't affected the transportation or distribution systems. That could change. We'll see.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:36 pm So far it really hasn't affected the transportation or distribution systems. That could change. We'll see.
Yes, in fact our Governor announced yesterday that weight limits on trucks is waived on trucks delivering supplies to our state. So transportation and distribution is chugging along at full speed right now. Costco still had tons of water available. Limiting it to two per customer but still literally had a good part of the back of the store massed with water. I think the TP thing simply caught retailers by surprise which is why there is a 'shortage'. Not really a shortage but just that the demand was not anticipated like it seemed to have been anticipated with water. I'm thinking by the middle of next week you'll see TP back on the shelves. The panic buyers would have already gotten their fix I would thing and it should start to level out. We'll see.

Will transportation/distribution change? Possibly. If the country went on lockdown for a couple of weeks and then stores opened again you'll get the same panic shopping initially.