Weapon Mounted Lights (WML)

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Weapon Mounted Lights (WML)

Post by Ronin.45 »

aerynsun wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:20 pm I'm not a big fan of permanently attached lights for civilian. It gives the bad guy a target.

I suggest a good/small hand held light. You have more options. You can hold it away from you at arms length or under the gun.

Also, you can use it without pulling out your gun.
I think the benefits of a weapon mounted light far outweigh the negatives. Having a free hand to open doors, carry a child, or use a cell phone could be vital. If you need to shoot, having a legit 2-handed grip could be a lifesaver too. You can easily illuminate rooms without pointing your gun at everything. You can see I keep a handheld light on the nightstand as well. Sometimes the power goes out and it's not time to go hot.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

As far as "spray and pray" attackers go, they would probably be just as likely to hit you if the light was slightly offline. In that case, having both hands on the gun to return fire quickly and accurately would be important.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Ronin.45 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:13 pm As far as "spray and pray" attackers go, they would probably be just as likely to hit you if the light was slightly offline. In that case, having both hands on the gun to return fire quickly and accurately would be important.
Think of it this way.

1. Light on gun - bad guy shoots first at the light - good chance of hitting you.

2. Light in your left and (gun in right) arms length away - guy shoots first at light, misses you because you are not behind the light, you return fire.

Even if he is a spray and pray type you have more time to react to his actions then if you are behind the light.

You have many more options without the light attached to the gun.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Walking around your house with your flashlight extended out at arms length would be some very cumbersome maneuvering. Kind of difficult to pie corners and walk down hallways.
In low-light matches we notice that even having the light a few inches offline can be a hindrance when sighting around corners or obstacles.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Slicing the pie is the first thing that comes to mind as far as a benefit to a WML. Also the ability to have both hands on the weapon for greater control. Another caveat is that I know the layout of my home (light or dark) whereas the BG(s) don't so this is where a momentary flash may come in handy.

There are distinct advantages and disadvantages to either method. I'm all for stealth and people generally refer to me as a ninja in that department. And of course, I'm a flashoholic so I love a good flashlight, lol. I suppose that's why I have both options available on the night stand. In general, I'd lean more towards a WML if the lights were out completely (power outage). Overall though I may not have to worry about either as one light is usually kept on in the living room for my elderly SIL to see better getting to the restroom at night. So my WML and BLF A6 options are for if the power were totally out or if that light was turned off for some reason.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Ronin.45 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:49 pm Walking around your house with your flashlight extended out at arms length would be some very cumbersome maneuvering. Kind of difficult to pie corners and walk down hallways.
In low-light matches we notice that even having the light a few inches offline can be a hindrance when sighting around corners or obstacles.
That was just an example. With you gun in your hand you have options. With the light fixed on the gun you don't.

Options are good.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well I received the new holster yesterday in the mail. It looks almost exactly like the holster I was using previously for the P365 with the exception that it is molded to fit a P365 with the TLR-6. Put it all together and I think this is going to work just fine. And I think the TLR-6, although not as bright as other options, is going to work out just fine for my purposes.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

aerynsun wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:01 pm
Ronin.45 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:13 pm As far as "spray and pray" attackers go, they would probably be just as likely to hit you if the light was slightly offline. In that case, having both hands on the gun to return fire quickly and accurately would be important.
Think of it this way.

1. Light on gun - bad guy shoots first at the light - good chance of hitting you.

2. Light in your left and (gun in right) arms length away - guy shoots first at light, misses you because you are not behind the light, you return fire.

Even if he is a spray and pray type you have more time to react to his actions then if you are behind the light.

Bad logic. If guy shoots at light and you are holding it, they still hit you.

And you assume that we are looking straight at the light. I DARE you to go and stick a Surefire/streamlight up on a silhouette and try to shoot straight at it. Bet you can't, or won't be able to shoot at anything besides the blue spots afterwards for the rest of your life.

Total disagree.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Bob wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:25 pm
aerynsun wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:01 pm
Think of it this way.

Bad logic. If guy shoots at light and you are holding it, they still hit you.

And you assume that we are looking straight at the light. I DARE you to go and stick a Surefire/streamlight up on a silhouette and try to shoot straight at it. Bet you can't, or won't be able to shoot at anything besides the blue spots afterwards for the rest of your life.

Total disagree.
I am not assuming the bad guy is looking straight at the light.

You are assuming you surprise the guy with the light and the bad guy is blinded.
The light is on, right, the light does not have to be pointed at the bad guy to see the light.
Especially in a home. The bad guy could see the light on a wall and moving around.
Think about it.

If you are walking on the sidewalk at night and a car comes down the street with its lights on; you do not have to be in front of the car to see the light.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

What aerynsun is preaching was a very common way of thinking for years. Not so much anymore.