Long Term Food Sold Out

Recipes, freeze-dried, deydrated and all food related threads.
Bob
Board Founder

Long Term Food Sold Out

Post by Bob »

Corona Panic strikes again!
1-2 month delays in orders. Hahahahaha

Amazing that a bunch of peppers panic buy. These are not sites that would be frequented by the masses....
bdc
Board Founder

Re: Long Term Food Sold Out

Post by bdc »

Well . . . You go sit in a quiet corner and try to figure it out - and can not.

Typical flu plus - may be you are down for a month. So figure on a month. Do you buy longgggggggggg term food or do you buy short term foods liked canned stews/soups/vegetables. Ok, so we have mooching relatives who will show up at the door step. Still the focus is on foods that can be fed to sick people. You don't focus on big cans of specially prepared foods for storage. Heck, if you want long term, just buy dried pasta, bottled pasta sauce and rice.

The panic buying has started in my area and will accelerate. The average Joe will not reduce his food waste percentage and will continue to buy whatever he usually buys without any thought to nutrition, the efforts in preparing food or cleaning up.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I'm just saying that Emergency essentials, Audusta Farms etc. are all out or 60 day back ordered for 1 Mo emergency food buckets. Fascinating.

Obviously Zombie Apocalypse prepares who already don't have a year's worth gearing up even more...Regular folk are out buying N95's and Hand Sanitizer.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

but there still is plenty of rice/beans at the store... most here are already stocked ,TMK
not much I need to add.
You can't fix stupid !
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Rice/Beans/Oatmeal I got....plus I doubt water/electric will go. I think I'll make it.

I really do need to replenish my MRE's and get a dried bucket though....
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I went two places today and watched the neighbor across the street.

The panic shopping is evident in the big box grocery store and the institutional distributor.

The neighbor across the street unloaded a van full of cases of water and canned food. Good, he won't coming knocking on my door.

People still haven't received the message - most expensive hand sanitizers can be skipped - use soap and water; and chemical sprays of expensive brand name and soap and water don't have to be used on door knobs/sink handles - just spray isopropyl alcohol and save time.

Why do people buy cases of flimsy small water bottles? The bottles are not designed to last, the tap water is fine, and if you want to store any quantity of water that you want to lift, just buy 5 gallon paint buckets with the number "2" on the bottom. "2" indicates food grade. I predict that he bottled water will be drunk completely by the panic stricken buyers within a week from now, without having an epidemic sweep through.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I do have a supply of isolation gowns. Why? I don't intend to go out and tend to people. But mommy will insist on going and taking care of the babies - over age 40. Now for the humorous. I am going to keep one by the front door and put it on when the religious and the salesmen knock!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Distribution still seems to be fine. We went to Aldi and Costco today. Plenty of everything on the shelves and neither store was busier than usual. That may change in a week or month of course.
tom mac wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:34 am but there still is plenty of rice/beans at the store... most here are already stocked ,TMK
not much I need to add.
Bingo! The places with food buckets may be sold out but good ole beans and rice and the normal staples are still in high supply. And really, a serious prepper is making their own food buckets. It's easy and very cost effective.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I have over 10 days of food in rice alone. when I start adding Beans, Oats, and canned stuff....

This was key also; I have buckets of JUST rice, and then triple buckets with Rice/Beans/Oats, so that I can make a short or long term call on use. Small SHTF, open a combo bucket.

Long term, open a big bucket.