Coronavirus

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: Coronavirus

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:30 pm You gotta stop watching those shows Dave...
What shows would that be Bob? The nightly news? The talking head opinion shows? The daytime talk shows? Internet independent news shows? Many of those 'shows' are saying the same thing.

Am I expecting a total world-wide economic meltdown? No, not really. Is it possible even as a knee-jerk reaction on a temporary basis due to politics and agendas? Yes, I believe it is possible to some extent. Is it possible for a created panic to set in around the world? Of course it is and we're seeing it on a limited basis right now. Will it get worse? We'll see. Is China being totally transparent? I don't think any rational person would accuse China of being forthcoming with factual information, particularly if it isn't good for their image.

So it's time to be diligent and observant. Take common sense precautions and feel confident in the preparations we have taken.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

People are out there gouging re the virus....

Went to Costco for our normal monthly run to refill the pantry. Got most of what we needed , but people are running around crazy getting TP and water.
Of course no lysol wipes ( didn't expect any ) as worker told me they were all gone last week or so.
Got our supplies and left, got all but wipes from our list.

For fun, looked on amazon for lysol wipes.... found them BUT a 5 pack normally at costco ( $15-16 ) was running as high $100 for 6 packs...lowest prive was $8 per tube.
Nothing like squeezing blood from stone for these people that don't stock up ( like most here )
You can't fix stupid !
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I love the getting water thing. Like the Flu has ever caused the water system or electricity to stop.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Here is the thing you don't know about this bug and need to:

What the real infection rate is an how severe it it typically is. The thing you don't know from China, because they are dealing with a hospital over-run, of people near death, is how many got it and had no symptoms, mild symptoms, or even moderate symptoms.

What you know about the typical Flu is exactly that - because CDC etc. actually tests the population for it. Like I said - it was crossing the ocean for months, and getting people sick long before you heard about. Hell - you may have even had it and didn't know it!

The only reason people know now in many cases is that the second they get sick they hit a hospital, or were in a contained hot spot. And for all of that - check the US death rate.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Any one need TP, I have extra only $2 bucks a roll plus $18 shipping.

Also have Hand sanitizer: $4 bucks a bottle plus $45 shipping.

.... :D ....

Last edited by Gnepig on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
... Just a Dude...
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

The WHO made it an official world wide pandemic today... The numbers are growing faster and faster, that means it is officially out of control. Brace yourself's people this is going to get ugly.
... Just a Dude...
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Relax Gene. It was out of control before you ever heard of it.

If you would have asked the Director of the CDC at gun point can this be slowed or stopped, he would have said "no" last November.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

It will be interesting to see how the history books write about this event.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Think of this of a test to see how things should or shouldn't be done in a more lethal pandemic. Lots of lessons to be learned when this is all over.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I agree. Of course, the lessons learned will become faded memories. We will be like people who survived the Depression - and younger people will cling to the thought that it can't happen again in modern times. Over time, an initial outlays for future preps by a governmental agency will be slowly cut down.