Panic buying at walmar?

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
aerynsun

Panic buying at walmar?

Post by aerynsun »

Anyone seeing panic buying?

If so, please post where you are located.

Hawaii has reports of it.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Panic buying at walmar?

Post by Bob »

There will be lots of panic buying, because the media.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Yeah the media is really stoking this one up for the ratings. I've seen maybe a slight increase in people at places like Walmart and Costco but nothing I'd consider as being in panic mode. And it could just have been a busy time of day for shopping.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

Panic buying has sold out all N-95 masks at the local HD, Lowes, Sherman Williams Paint store, auto parts store, and Tractor Supply.
Wife travels through the US for work. Gave her 3 N-95's for Sundays flight. Got to order more.
This morning the CDC is asking people to stop panic buying masks, in order to make them available to the nations healthcare workers.
If the healthcare workers go down sick, who will be there for the hospitals, nursing homes, rehab centers, assisted living facilities, Dr. offices, health clinics, pharmacies, just to name few.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I look at the stats of the normal Flu, and it's not even close... not worried yet.
But I do have masks stored somewhere if needed. Even hi end 3M dual filter masks left over from 9/11.
You can't fix stupid !
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I was at the dentist yesterday. I realized that in my preps I did not have disposable gowns. Don't assume that eye, mouth, and hand protection are sufficient. I ordered some today. Most places are out. Had to pay $.25 more per unit.

I accept the reality that there will be sick relatives.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

N95 stops .3Microns
Corona = .15 Microns

N95 masks are for preventing healthcare workers from spreading it to others.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

This is hyped up... don't think it will end up being a big deal.

So far 2 deaths in US re Coronavirus

As to Flu;
the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000
You can't fix stupid !
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Yep. Again - don't waste an opportunity. The CDC is a political entity as well. They at least mean well, but like FEMA, they need tragedy to be seen as important.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

panic buying at Ralph's. Stopped to buy flowers for two birthday girls. All of the cash registers ringing. Morons buying cases of plastic bottled water and Excedrin (the number one epidemic stopper) bought out.